Saturday, January 7, 2012

Sharing Mother's Applesauce Cake

Applesauce Cake with Black Walnuts by Mick Telkamp
Applesauce Cake, a photo by Mick Telkamp on Flickr.
This year I wanted to bake my mother's handwritten applesauce cake.
I dug out the recipe Mother gave me a zillion years ago
and began making my shopping list.
I chatted with my SIL about ingredients, but
she was not much help because her recipe was a vague as mine.
Annette did say she thought Mother used cane syrup,
so when I went shopping the hunt was on for that special syrup.
The cake turned out wonderfully; it was moist and springy.
Gerald REALLY liked it and I thought it tasted just like Mother's cake.
This wintry spice cake recipe is below.

1/4 pound butter
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
1 egg
4 tablespoons Hot Water
1 1/2 cup Cold Applesauce (homemade applesauce)
1 pint pecans
1 box raisins (I used half black raisins & half golden raisins)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Make apple sauce by cooking peeled & cut apples with cane syrup until it is thick & syrupy. Mash the apples as they cook. The finished sauce will be very dark and thick. It will NOT look like canned applesauce. Cool apple sauce in refrigerator until it is cold.

Cream the butter, add sugar & mix til it is creamy then add egg and beat well. Add applesauce and Hot Water. Flour raisins & nuts with an extra 1/2 cup of flour and add to applesauce mixture. Mix the other ingredients (salt, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, flour) & sift 3 times. Blend dry ingredients with applesauce slowly & well. Bake in moderate oven 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.

To keep the cake moist I wrapped it in aluminum foil until it was all gone!

Happy baking!!!

5 comments:

Jo said...

I only have one criterion for a new recipe; it must make my mouth water while reading it.

Reading Mother's Applesauce Cake recipe required a napkin just to get through it!

Can't wait to try this out...perfect for a cold winter's day, which we are certain to experience at some point!

Thanks so much for sharing this precious family recipe, Cheryl.

Titus said...

Lovely! Don't think we'll need the foil.

Cheryl Cato said...

Jo, I'm so happy you are salivating! I think you'll enjoy this cake.

Titus, do you mean you have the humidity to keep it moist... or that it will be quickly devoured???? :-)

Angela said...

I`ll copy this and try to find the ingredients. Cane syrup, hmmm? But Jo is right, it makes my mouth water, too. I love good apple cakes, in Polish they are called charlotka, doesn`t that sound nice?
Haha, the veri word looks Polish, too: rzolashi.

JJ Roa Rodriguez said...

Willtry this without cinnamon. Yes! I am one in a million who have allergy to it. Missing half of the foof & drinks fun...

JJRod'z