Monday, August 6, 2012

Bastrop's Farm Street & Historic Chicken Sanctuary

 Bastrop's
Farm Street 
Historic Chicken
Sanctuary
 Austin is known for being a weird city,
the slogan for Austin is
"Keep Austin Weird".

I think Bastrop is pretty odd too
with it's "Historic Chicken Sanctuary",
but I love it!

 A couple of times each month 
I drive down farm street to see
what the chickens are up to.
The roosters were crowing this afternoon
and the hens were pecking about the yards.

 Note the rooster on top of the drums...
it hopped up while I was taking a couple of photos.

 Love may be in the air here.
This yard had the most chickens in it
of any other yard around.

 None of these chickens are owned by anyone...
they just live here.
I suppose many years ago people owned
the ancestors of these chickens,
but these are truly free range chickens!
They roam about and most of the time stay 
in this two or three block area.

These roosters are quite spectacular.


 This girl was off to catch her girl pals.


Indeed this is a great tradition
and I am so glad the city declared
this area a Chicken Sanctuary...
and I love the banners the city placed 
on the light poles.

1 comment:

ellen abbott said...

how crazy is that? does anyone collect the eggs?