Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Suffragists: The Fight to Vote


I am ashamed to say that I did not know how much these women suffered to gain the RIGHT TO VOTE for WOMEN. I am appalled that officials (the warden of a prison and even President Woodrow Wilson) condoned the treatment of these brave women.

The next book I read (after finishing In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larsen) will be a book about the Suffrage Movement in the United States. Of course, this was not covered in American history when I was in school or when I taught, at least not the horrors that women went through to get the right to vote. 

More once a book on the subject is found and read. Thank you my sisters.



2 comments:

ellen abbott said...

And our granddaughters have no concept of the battles we fought for equality.

steven said...

it's astonishing that the suffering of both the women and the men who fought for women's rights are not acknowledged or as well-known as they ought to be . . . . steven