Overnight the rain and clouds blew away
and today brought a cool crisp day
with beautiful blue sky.
The G-man was off playing golf, so Gertie
and I decided to take advantage of the day
and go for a hike in Bastrop State Park.
The Lake and picnic grounds in the park
are in good shape.
The park rangers and volunteers
have worked so hard over the
last year and 4 months to get
the park where it can be used again.
Gertie & I hiked about 1 1/2 miles through the park
stopping to take photos of the trails, the trees,
and the grasses & mushrooms growing
on the forest floor.
Trails through the millions of burned
pine trees in what is know as the Lost Pines.
Here and there I saw seedlings sprouting up
amongst the tall dead trees.
Along our drive out of the park
I saw where many seedlings have
recently been planted by volunteers,
all are marked by little red flags.
Gertie loves to go on long walks where she can stop
and sniff the ground.
She is an amazing dog (but of course I'm prejudiced).
Gertie is about 15 years old, but she really can walk!
For quite a while I've been following the adventure of
Tom Ryan and Atticus Maxwell Finch
on their FaceBook page.
Tom is a writer and a walker.
He and Atticus (his miniature schnauzer)
have hiked all 48 of New Hampshire's
4,000 foot peaks twice in one winter.
As I read Tom's book, Following Atticus, I am
inspired to go on little hikes with Gertie.
It is a good and healthy thing to do for both of us.





3 comments:
i've never been on a mountain bike - street bikes, road bikes, but never a mountain bike and this is the year i grab that one by the horns and get going! this looks like a beautiful place to ride a bike cheryl!!! steven
that's a beautiful area. which river is that? and nice to see the forest renewing itself (with a little help).
Wow, Gertie is amazing. 15 and out walking!
Post a Comment