Saturday afternoon I drove into Fairview Cemetery in the town where I live
because I have been thinking about an important day in many cultures.
All Saints' Day is celebrated around the world on November 1 and
All Souls' Day or Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertos)
on November 2.
because I have been thinking about an important day in many cultures.
All Saints' Day is celebrated around the world on November 1 and
All Souls' Day or Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertos)
on November 2.
On this day family members go to the grave sites of their loved ones,
place decorations and flowers on the graves,
and clean the area to show love and respect for the departed.
Below are a couple of photographs
from the Harrold Cemetery established in 1890.
This cemetery is in Harrold, Texas near where
the G-man grew up in wide open spaces.
from the Harrold Cemetery established in 1890.
This cemetery is in Harrold, Texas near where
the G-man grew up in wide open spaces.
This photograph was from the Harrold Cemetery.
The motocycle, the dogs, and the flag indicate this person's loves.
15 comments:
I like to wander through ,and send love as well, Lizzy.xx
Hi Lizzy. Fascinating walk through the cemeteries for All Saints Day. I enjoyed the posts on the Rio Grande and Zion very much, too!
I really enjoyed your pictures, although I had difficulty reading your narrative against the dark green background, so I'm not certain what was said.
For all their traditionally "spooky" reputation, cemeteries are mostly places of great beauty.
A client cancelled so I'm sneaking time to catch up with your blog.
Great pics of your travels - love the deer and the guys with big ole tattoos, climbing. Your new banner is fabulous and of course I love the tour of the cemetery.
I'm glad G man is getting well and that you're home safe and sound. xx
Thank you so much for visiting... and Barry I changed my background color just for you & hope it helps. :-)
in the last few weeks i've taken to an old habit again - walking through cemeteries. they are so quiet and the one i am visiting in the mornings sometimes is right by the big river that flows through the middle of my town. your walk was fascinating and revealed features that i was surprised to see as i had no idea they were in favour - decorations, objects etc. thanks for this lizzy!!!! steven
Hi Lizzy, hope all is fine.
Here it's almost like you describe, but All Saint's Day is on November 1st and Day of the Dead on November 2nd.
However many people goes to cemiteries on All Saint's Day, because it's a holyholiday and they have not to go to work. (Too bad this year felt on a Sunday)
xoxo
Lizzy - what a fascinating post, and such intriguing photographs. There is a life behind every one.
Thank you.
I love walking through cememtaries. Although today I decided to skip the service on remembering those who'd died and go for a long walk instead. Somehow, I feel closer to the memories that way.
fascinating - i also love wandering around cemeteries - glad i am not alone in this. headstones and interesting inscriptions always intruige.
Apparently Spike Milligan put these words on his headstone "I told you I was sick!!" funny man :-)
Here the days are called Allerheiligen and Allerseelen. Only in Catholic areas they are holidays (in Southern Germany), here in North Germany we celebrate "Reformationstag", the day when Martin Luther hammered his 95 theses at the church wall of Wittenberg... But I enjoyed your walk over the cemeteries. Looking at gravesites always make me feel humble.
After reading your comments and in particular those of The Seeker and Angela, I realized I made a mistake on the dates. Yes, All Saints' Day is on Nov. 1 and All Souls' Day is on Nov 2. Here in Texas we refer to Nov. 2 as Day of the Dead, but really it is Dia de los Muertos in Mexico & other Latin American countries. I'm sorry that I didn't think about it more and check my facts before I wrote. Anyway, I've made corrections and I'm glad you have enjoyed the post.
Lizzy what a great post. I am going to see my Dad and Sheldon today, and decided what to bring. So thank you.
I love libraries too, did I ever tell you (and I'm sure I did) that I wanted to be a librarian.
Love Renee xoxo
Thank you for taking me with you Lizzy! for some reason i always loved cemeteries. Here , i find them to be very "happy" and colorful places...
Have a great week!
:-)
In the UK they have banned the personal items that you've photographed in many cemetarys. Which has been very tough for parents who wanted to personalise their childrens graves.And causeed an outcry, but jobsworth won I'm afraid, so no teddy bears of photographs allowed.
Post a Comment