Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Under the weather

Both the G-man & I have been "under the weather" the last few days. A stomach bug hit on Sunday for me and on Monday for him. Gertie has been having to play nurse to the both of us. ...and I might add she's doing a very good job.

We have been in such good health for the last few years except for aches & pains from arthritis, over-exertion, a hernia surgery for the G-man and carpel-tunnel surgery for me. When these bugs and flu hit it is a wake-up call to how fragile our bodies really are. We try to eat well, exercise, not expose ourselves to illnesses of others and yet an illness will sneak into our lives.

These are minor problems compared to friends and family who are suffering from heart disease, kidney disease, diabetes, and cancer. Life is scary, illness makes us vulnerable to depression which compounds the underlying problems.

These days I am thinking of two Canadian friends who are suffering from cancer. My thoughts are with Renee & her family and Barry and his. Today perhaps Barry has good news and will be cancer free & not need more chemo-therapy. I hope Renee is free of suffering and that her pain is being well managed.

Other blogger friends have just lost their mothers. It is a time of sorrow. My thoughts are with you all. May you have strength and love to carry you through.

7 comments:

R. Burnett Baker said...

Well wishing for you both! Life IS fragile, as I've just posted with several pieces about my Dad and Parkinson's.

Those of us who have family and friends to help with our journeys are blessed.


Feel better soon!
Rick

steven said...

hey lizzy - it's very generous of you when ill to think of those whose illness is perhaps more complex, more serious than yours. i've been feeling a bit sorry for my body lately as it's wracked with physical tension reflecting the volume and quality of the work i'm engaged in. every muscle hurts, i have very little energy but i know that sooner or later it'll all pass and things will be back to normal. not so for some of my friends who as you point out, have much more serious body matters to attend to. get well soon and have a peaceful day. steven

Unknown said...

Hoping you both feel better soon!

ellen abbott said...

I hope you feel better soon. My daughter popped in Monday evening to tell us everyone at her house is sick. Ah, that's why we haven't seen the g'kids. She won't let them come over when they are sick.

Cheryl Cato said...

Rick, today is a new & beautiful day with we two at my house feeling much better. We may not be able to tackle the world just yet, but we are smiling & taking care of business around the home front.

I hope your father is comfortable. Parkinson's & MD are terrible diseases. Strength to you & your family.

I know how difficult it is when you live so far away from family. Visits are never enough time to do or say all you intend.

Cheryl Cato said...

steven... hopefully spring will begin to peek around the corner and bring a new "spring" to your step. This is the time of year when every teacher begins to feel the added pressure of year end... counting down to how much have I accomplished, is it enough, what more can I do? This is my assumption that the stresses of teaching are wearing on you along with the cold days of winter. Be well.

Cheryl Cato said...

John, thank you ... today is much better than yesterday!