When the G-man & I drive through rural areas of Texas everything appears to be so peaceful, so quiet. We come upon interesting places that make us want to stop and relax under the trees. We begin to wonder how these places got their names. What significance is there to the name?
For example, how do you think this hollow came to be known as Coffee Hollow? There is a first & a second one. As we drove along we came upon First Coffee Hollow and I thought, "Huh?" Then we approached another dip in the road and I jokingly said to the G-man, "Here comes the Second Coffee Hollow"... and sure enough there it was!
For example, how do you think this hollow came to be known as Coffee Hollow? There is a first & a second one. As we drove along we came upon First Coffee Hollow and I thought, "Huh?" Then we approached another dip in the road and I jokingly said to the G-man, "Here comes the Second Coffee Hollow"... and sure enough there it was!
How does one come up with naming a hollow, Coffee? Perhaps it is the last name of a person who owned the land in this area although it does not say "Coffee's Hollow". Perhaps cowboys camped in these depressions, built fires, and made cowboy coffee over the open fire.
Imagine life on the range. I suppose it was a "simple" life. The tasks were to take care of the herds of animals, to move them from place to place, to make sure no one came along and "rustled" the cattle or horses. But then there were bandits and Indians to cause concern.
Perhaps I look at that rural life style and think it is a simple life. True it is isolated, neighbors may not be very close, usually they are a few miles down the road, and there is not the hustle-bustle of urban life. Isolation makes one think safe, simple, easy. In truth none of us are so isolated anymore because we have television, radio, G3 phones, and the ever present Internet to keep us up-to-date on the latest occurrences.
No even in this rural hollow I'll bet life is not as simple as I'd like to think it is.
7 comments:
We think of times past as being a simple life but I bet the people who lived it didn't think it was simple at all.
I think you are right Ellen. There is nothing simple about struggling to get food on the table. People had long work-days no matter where they lived.
I doubt if most post dustbowl people could survive that kind of life - including me as roimantic as it may sound.
Beautiful pictures. What kind of camer do you use?
Lizzy, I often wonder the same thing sometimes, especially now that I live in Atlanta. There must be at least 45 streets/roads here with the name "Peachtree" incorporated into it.
And you know, I've lived in Georgia for 2 1/2 years now and I've yet to see a peachtree? Am I missing something?
That coffee sign is a real pip. I think I'd have to stop and ask a local if they new the story behind it.
TnLib... I know it always seems so romantic, but what hardships they had to endure. Oh, I use a Leica V-Lux camera & love it.
Corey... we have peach trees here in central Texas in the Hill Country. I'm originally from Georgia & there were peach trees in the area where I lived near the Savannah River. You know Georgia is the "Peach State"... one of my acquaintances about 30 years ago referred to my accent as a little "peachy".
Hi Lizzy. We live in what is probably considered a very rural setting, and as you say, we are not free from the stress and demands of the technology that we need to survive in the modern world!
I've been enjoying catching up, as usual - glad Gertie is feeling fine again, and great pics of the spring herbs, creeks, flycatchers and of course "First and Second Coffee Hollows"!
Post a Comment