Monday, May 3, 2010

Morning Sounds and Beautiful Scenery

Old Barn at the Buckhorn

I awoke to the grayness of early morning, to the sound of many birds chirping and tweeting in our woods. It was a lovely sound and caused me to rouse myself early to enjoy the morning.

Very early, at about 5 AM, I heard a Chuck-Will's-Widow in the woods near our house. It is the first one of the spring and I am always so happy to hear its mournful sound. It is a similar sound to the Whippoorwill although not quite as sad sounding.

I knew I would not mind coming to live here with the G-man when first I heard the Chuck-Will's-Widow. There were always a couple in the woods behind my house in the country so this lovely sound made me feel quite at home here.

Wild Verbena

Looking up-creek

The photos in this post were taken last Sunday on our little Texas Hill Country jaunt. We drove the scenic route to Comfort, TX rather than taking the interstate highway to our destination. It is much more fun to leave a bit earlier than needed and take a winding route to enjoy the countryside.

Looking down-creek

This creek near Comfort is beautiful. So serene. It invites one to stop and enjoy the babbling brook sounds and take in the scents of the wildflowers and the exquisite fresh air. Simply lovely.

Along the creek-bed



3 comments:

Reya Mellicker said...

What a gorgeous, clear crystal of green in all these pictures - wow! Love the verbena, and of course the pics up and downstream. This planet is so gorgeous it blows my mind!

Cheryl Cato said...

Thanks Reya, one can almost hear the rippling sound.

Leslie Parsley said...

Would love to walk through there and wade in the water. Beautiful.