
As the demolition of my kitchen floor continues, Gertie & I are trying to stay out of the way. So after reading Gumbo Writer's blog today I decided to add a grits (grits described in Wikipedia) recipe that is my favorite. Let me add that being raised in Georgia grits was a staple in my family. Once on a trip to New Orleans I found a great cookbook which I brought home & have continued to use over the years.One of my favorite grits recipes is Jambalaya Grits. I took it from the "Jambalaya Cookbook of the Junior League of New Orleans" and I think it is my favorite recipe in the cookbook. People who don't usually like grits like this dish. My husband is one of those who doesn't care for grits, but will load his plate with this when I cook it.
Jambalaya grits is a great brunch recipe. It will serve lots of folks and holds up in a warmer without getting to stiff. The recipe is as follows:
Jambalaya Grits
Serves 6
2 tablespoons bacon grease (I substitute olive oil which is somewhat healthier)
2 tablespoons flour (here again I substitute whole wheat flour for white flour)
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 cup quick grits
3 fresh tomatoes, peeled & chopped (approximately 1 cup)
1 cup ground ham
Bacon cooked and crumbled
(Parsley sprigs for color)
In a heavy skillet, heat oil and gradually add flour, stirring constantly, until roux becomes light brown. Add onion, green pepper, and celery; coop 5 minutes. Cook grits according to package directions and add to roux. Add tomatoes and ham. Sprinkle with bacon. Garnish with parsley sprigs and serve immediately.
8 comments:
Yumm...I will start cooking. I taught in Cairo, Georgia, a long time ago for a couple of years. WE lived in Tallahassee, enjoying everything southern.
That looks really tasty-- thanks!
I`m not quite sure what grits is and if I can get it here, but your recipe does sound great. Next time I`m in Texas I`ll ask you for a plate!
You will have to show us pictures.
I love Lake Louise, if you have a chance go because it is so beautiful.
Canada and the U.S. are beautiful countries. Vancouver of course is amazing too. Love Toronto as well, great restaurants.
Love Renee xoxoxo
Even though I am a northern girl, I adore grits! Thanks for this yummy looking recipe.. I'm taking it back to the manor with me.
This is one of those recipes that make your mouth water. It looks so tasty. Many thanks.
Greetings from London.
Thanks for the great recipe idea,Lizzy. ♥xx
Morning Lizzy,
Just what are grits? corn?
sounds delicious though ...
Post a Comment