Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Theme Thursday - Animal - The Great Blue Heron

While Pelican watching...

a Great Blue Heron flew onto this dock...

On the bay in Fulton, Texas there is an old rickety boardwalk going out to some little boats where the shore birds love to visit. One day I was watching the pelicans when over my shoulder flew in a Great Blue Heron and landed majestically in front of me.

and landed majestically among the seagulls & a cormorant

Along side the heron to the right is a cormorant and seagulls all around.

and stood in a stately manner surveying his domain.

Isn't this a majestic looking bird? He/she is a loner and appears to have no fear.

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias): This is the largest and most widespread heron in North America. It can be found along ocean shores, fresh water ponds and rivers. The color of mature birds is gray, it has long legs, and a long "S" shaped neck. There is a white striped crown on its head and ruffled feathers at the base of its neck and back. The herons back, wings, and underside are a bluish-gray color. The legs and bill are a pale yellow color. The size is 97 to 137 cm or 34 to 54 in. The wingspan is 167 to 201 cm or 66 to79 in. The heron weighs 2100 to 2500 gm or 74 to 88 oz. Both sexes look alike which is dissimilar to most birds where the male is generally more brilliant in color.

The diet of the Great Blue Heron is mostly fish, but will eat other small animals for example voles, frogs, birds and small lizards.

We find the Great Blue Heron year around in Texas and in most of the United States except the more northern of the mid-western states. Their range in summer during breeding season is from southern Alaska and central Canada to Central America and the Caribbean. In winter they are found from southern Canada southward as far as northern South America and along the west and east coasts as far north as Alaska & Nova Scotia. They live in rural or urban areas as long as there is a good water supply such as ponds or rivers.

The Great Blue nests in colonies sometimes as a lone pair and other times with several groups in an especially nice thicket around a pond or river. Their nests are large, made of sticks, grass and reeds, or sticks and are found high in trees. I read that they occasionally make nests on the ground. The eggs are a dull pale blue and are generally 2 to 6 eggs in a clutch. The chicks are covered in a pale gray down and with open eyes and able to hold their heads up just after hatching.

Resource: Cornell Lab of Ornithology "All About Birds"

32 comments:

Ronda Laveen said...

Yes, they are a majestic bird. You can really see his energy in the photo. Truly, no fear. He seems to be claiming his space. Beautiful photos.

Delwyn said...

Lizzy, we have pelicans here too and herons but nothing like the biggy you have taken good photos of.

Our gum trees are filled with cormorants each night, bobbing away on their branches.

Tonight its not 6pm and already getting dark. It's still raining with that cyclone hovering around the coast. I love the sound of the rain on my tin roof. Fortunately I took the dog to the park for her ball chasing spree in between down pours.
Happy Days

Natalie said...

He is a beautiful specimen isn't he?

I love birds, I just realised this!

Love the Roadrunner too! Thanks, Cheryl, you are one of my faves too. xx

Fire Byrd said...

I have a 'thing' about Herons. Last year I kept seeing them every time I went walking.
The best was when I was visiting Sorrow in Virginia, and one flew from one end of the lake we were out on to the other. Where it stayed and watched us. It also dropped a feather in the water, it sits on my desk next to me now with my other treasures.
xx

Rosaria Williams said...

Lovely. On the lake where I reside a couple of herons reside year round, often surprising us by their sudden flight, or swoop down to catch a fish. I'm getting an education just sitting on my deck, lazying away the hours.

Unknown said...

We have a fair number of Blue Herons out here, & I always enjoy seeing them. Those are some great shots you got-- thanks.

Roan said...

Majestic is the perfect description. Gorgeous shots!

Tess Kincaid said...

Wow! You got some fabulous shots!

Brian Miller said...

Nice, very regal. Nice sequence as he lands and struts his stuff.

Diana said...

LOvely, thank you!

The Clever Pup said...

Nice pictures and a good break from the dogs and cats.

New Yorker wannabes said...

Thank you for the great TT post!

I didn't know much about this wonderful bird. I find your post fun and educational!

take care
xoxo

Colette Amelia said...

Great shots! interesting about the Blue Herons, we have them here and it was only a couple of years ago that I saw my first one. Wow that was sure something!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful birds. I've had chance to see on but alas, I didn't have my camera! Great snaps, as well :)

Kris McCracken said...

That is one big heron.

Ed & Jeanne said...

They feed on pond fish in the suburbs here

Candie said...

They are really nice birds,great pictures :)

Leah said...

Marvelous pictures! We have a Great Blue that visits us at our lake house--he is truly stunning as he soars--

Patrice said...

Before I got my very territorial Great Pyrenees, there was a wonderful Blue Heron that came to the tiny pond (15 x 25) in my yard to feast upon my goldfish and froggies...

I miss him/her...

Dakota Bear said...

Wonderful pictures. I've seen pelicans before in San Diego, but i have never seen a Blue Heron. Thank you for the information about that majestic bird.

Megan said...

Never seen one. Thanks for sharing the pictures, they are truly good!

Cuppa Jo said...

Wow, that's a beautiful bird. Thanks.

Mrsupole said...

Very nice picture, very nice bird. Thank you for the info, I never knew or heard much about this bird. We mostly have pidgeons here and we used to have a white owl for many years. Not sure what happened to him, he just stopped showing up. I hope he died of natural causes and not some idiot killing him. It was so wonderful to see him. At night this large white owl, flying in the air. He was so graceful. You are so lucky to see such beautiful birds.

Thank you.

Bleu Mariane said...

Nice pictures. I have a blue herron that comme in the backyard of my mom house. But never got the chances to take a picture of him. Love Pellican too, they are my favorite cartoon character in the animation movie Finding Nemo. :o)

Anonymous said...

Splendid shots!

tony said...

Great Photos & Post.Have A Good weekend
Regards
Tony.

Anonymous said...

Those are some beautiful photographs.I love thses birds!
Thank you for commenting on my blog today :-).

Sarah Lulu said...

Love the photos on this and your other blog Lizzy.

Renee said...

The Heron is beautiful.

Would you walk out on that deck. I know if I attempted it I would totally feel like I was going to pass out.

Have you been reading our dear Rosaria blog on making a comment. Oh my God, I laughed myself silly reading it today. It is so funny.

Love Renee

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

Hi Lizzy!!!!!
I used to live on a little barrier island in the Gulf Of Mexico and had a little crabbing business. The brown pelican's used to follow our boat to beg a bite of fish and I used to love to sit on the Mississippi Sound and watch the Blue Heron's.
Thanks for bringing back happy memories.
Take good care and.......

Steady On
Reggie Girl

Seeker said...

Wow, those pictures are so beautiful. Fierce showing the majesticy of the bird.
Despite my island is "in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean" we have no birds so majestic.

Thank you so much for visited my blog and left such nice and kind comment, I really apreciated it.

So keep in touch if you feel like it and don't forget to pick your award :)

xoxo

A Cuban In London said...

I've always loved herons. For some reason they apppear regal to me.

Many thanks.

Greetings from London.