Thursday, September 10, 2009

Respect Others, Respect Self


These days I try not to read disturbing news related to health care reform. It does not really matter in what particular program President Obama is involved he is going to be ripped apart by the right-wing conservatives of our country.

First he and his constituents are being lam-blasted because of health care reform. Then he is being assaulted for wanting to speak to and encourage the school children to make goals for bettering their education. What will be next?

It is immensely disturbing to me that at Town Hall Meetings some people try to shout down the speaker who is trying to answer questions about health care. It is frightening to me that conservatives are so seemingly hate filled that they cannot allow civil discourse to take place. It shows a disrespect for our system of government and for democracy itself.

It is even more disconcerting to me that some individuals attend these meetings with rifles or handguns. To me that does not just say I have a right to bear arms, it is saying I have a right to intimidate everyone around me into being quiet. Not only is it frightening to people who attend these meetings, but when this is done at an event where the president or vice president are present it makes the job protecting them even more difficult for the secret service and police officers.

Last night was a prime example of showing disrespect when a congressman yelled out during the presidents speech, "You lie!". Thankfully he was asked by members of his own party to apologize to the president for his outburst. He did apologize, but the damage was done. The entire country saw what a disrespectful person Representative Wilson is and I wonder how many people lost respect for the congressman because of his remark.

Perhaps the divide is too great, perhaps hope is waning for liberals, moderates, and conservatives of Congress come together in some bi-partisan fashion to reform health care in our country. We do not need scare tactics in the form of wrong information being put out to frighten citizens. We need honest answers to honest questions.

If Congress and Presidents past had not shown courage in the face of diversity we would still be a segregated country and many people (women and minorities alike) would not have the right to vote. Surely we can overcome this divide to discuss what we can do to provide health care for all Americans.

Change is difficult, but that does not mean it is a bad thing, is wrong, or will make us become a Fascist country. What it does mean is we as human beings care about our fellow man/woman and want to do what is necessary to improve the lives of us all. If we must debate these issues let us not partake in name-calling and intimidation. Rather let us debate the issues using civility and showing respect for one another.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

So very well said. I have also found these things extremely troubling.

On a lighter note, love your banner photo.

ellen abbott said...

It is my belief that the conservatives do not want to cooperate. What they want is to be in power and to dictate their views to those of us who do not share them. Conservative - my way or the highway. Liberal - live and let live. The conservative base is doing all it can to insure Obama's failure. why? Because he is not of their party. The issue at hand is not important. Even if they would benefit from it, they will do whatever they can...lie, cheat and steal, to insure the oppositions failure. Bush, when he was reelected said as much...join our platform and we will welcome you. There was never any attempt to cooperate or compromise with the opposition. Obama has reached out to all, wanting to find the solutions. Still the conservatives are not interested in any compromise. What these conservatives (and far lefties) don't realize is that this stance with be the death knell of this country. Until the people want to solve the problems, until they stop letting the haters fill them with (unfounded) fear, until they learn to listen and think for themselves and form their own opinions, this country will continue to spiral downward. I could go on, but what's the point.

Cheryl Cato said...

Thank you John, I'm glad you found a "lighter note" it lifts me.

Cheryl Cato said...

Ellen, you are probably right "what is the point?" I fear we will continue to spiral downward as well. It feels like the days when parts of our country were demanding we remain segregated. We overcame that; I hope we can overcome this divide.

Anonymous said...

Poetic justice was abruptly served upon Rep. Joe Wilson because of his "you lie" comment. It was reported in the morning news that his campaign opponent (Rob Miller) for Senator of South Carolina received over $100,000 in campaign donations - OVERNIGHT!! As of Noon today, it was over $200,000.

I love democracy.

Cheryl Cato said...

Madtexter, I read that too... it is justice, poetic or otherwise. Thanks for stopping by.

Rosaria Williams said...

I second that motion.

Bee said...

Great post. I totally agree with you on all points.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you are preaching to the choir. Wish you could get some of the haters to listen, too.

Cheryl Cato said...

Bee, I posted this on my FaceBook page and that is available for many people who do not think like I (we) do. That is the thing about blogging is we tend to read & get responses from like-minded people, but it sure is good to know you all are out there & I'm not alone here. Glad you stopped by for a chat!

Lakeviewer, thanks for visiting.

Seeker said...

I admire you my dear Lizzy!!!!!
Despite being a foreign know that I support your point of view, and it's a pity that if there are more people thinking the same they don't come telling that, because if all think "Oh we can do nothing..." nothing is done.

Take care dear.

<3
xoxo

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Well said. From a distance, it seems like some of the bizarre resistance to anything Obama does emerges out of racism. Add guns, money concerns, dying soldiers to the mix - and you have a lethal combination.

I admire your courage for speaking out in print.

Renee said...

Lizzy without our health care system in Canada my family would be in the poor house.

As a Canadian I know I cannot really comment on American politics but it looks alot like the bullies want to rule the schoolyard again.

xoxoxo

Lyn said...

Lizzy - it gives me hope to see your perspective; I haven't been encouraged by what I have been watching in the media. Being from Canada, it is my deepest hope that your countrymen will open their minds and march courageously towards change that is so desperately needed. I want for my neighbours what we as Canadians enjoy as a right. So well said!

Cheryl Cato said...

I am "wowed" by your words Seeker, Bonnie, Renee & Lyn. It is comfort to me to know you all believe that a good universal health care system is more helpful than hurtful.

Renee, I know you & your family have had so much to deal with in regards to serious health issues. Perhaps not having to concern yourselves about money issues has let you concentrate on the important things... supporting each other, working toward recovery, and sharing love. Bless you & yours.

Lorac said...

Hi Lizzy! I am surprised and definitely confused on the health care issue there. I saw in the news some add campaigns that stated in Canada we are told what Doctors to see and denied care. I was disturbed by these untruths. I have never been denied care and have always picked my own Doc. I think our health care system is really good. I hope this is resolved for you there. Best wishes!

Cheryl Cato said...

Bonnie, I appreciate that you care for your neighbors & thought Obama's speech was important.

Seeker, thanks for your kind words. I seem to do better saying my mind in writing rather than verbally. When speaking I don't seem to have the time to formulate my thoughts & express them very well.

Support from abroad and from neighbors next door is very much appreciated.

Cheryl Cato said...

Lorac, it is helpful to me to know that even though Canada's health care system may not be perfect it is more than adequate. I am also happy that you cleared up the misconception that doctors are not chosen by the patient and that health care is denied in some instances.

That is some of the misinformation (and I really mean lies) that is being put out by those in opposition to this issue. "They" are also saying we'll have "death squads" that will dictate when the elderly will lose care & essentially die. It is all quite disturbing.

Lorac said...

Lizzy a few years ago my 84 year old Dad died with pancreatic cancer and I will tell you he couldn't have received better care. As you say it is not perfect, but it is pretty damn good!
Have a great weekend!

Bruce Coltin said...

Lizzy, I think you might like my latest post. On the surface, your post and mine might not seem connected, but I would be very interested in seeing your response.