Friday, October 2, 2009

Farewell Buckaroo aka Buck


A Sleeping Buckaroo

One of the sweetest dogs on the planet died today. Buck was the white lab that protected me, my home and my animals for several years after I separated from & later divorced my second husband. Buck stood guard at my gate. He loved living on our little acreage in the country near Austin. He and Gertie were best friends. She would decide to go on a little jaunt around the neighborhood and Buck would tag along with her.

Buck was good friends with the cats and with my horse as well as with Gertie. In later years Buck would meet the G-man at the gate when he came to visit me. When Gertie & I would go to visit the G-man Buck was the one to stay home & take care of business.

After the G-man & I decided to make a life together, Buck went to live in Austin with my ex-husband. He didn't have the land to run around on anymore, rather he ran with my ex and his dog Annie around Town Lake, went to the law office with them each day, and learned to be a city dog.

Buck was a happy boy. He was a rescue dog whom I named Buckaroo which later was shortened to Buck. My ex and I rescued him and in the end Buck did the rescuing for me. This morning I received a call from my ex that Buck became ill overnight and when the vet examined him & did xrays this morning he found cancer. Buck was euthanized this afternoon at the age of 11 years... that's equivalent to 77 human years.

The photo above is one of Buck asleep in the den at the home where the G-man, Gertie & I live. He came to visit us from time to time. Buckaroo, the wonderful, lovable white lab is missed and loved.

9 comments:

alaine@éclectique said...

Oh, how sad, Lizzy. I know how you feel; it's awful losing a Furkid. Mine is asleep and snoring, on the floor between my ankles right now! They're wonderful beings!!

Val said...

oh thats so sad :-( but what a lovely dog, and he obviously had a good life with you. x

Delwyn said...

Hi Lizzie

It is very sad to lose your loved and loyal pet...I'll be thinking of you..

Happy days

ellen abbott said...

A good life lived well.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lizzy. I'm so sorry for your loss. I went through this a year ago in September when our 17 year old dachshund, Alexei, let us know when it was time for him to go.

Last Christmas, as a gift to hubby, I sent a picture of our beloved Al off to a painter, and they painted the most beautiful portrait of him. Hubby was moved to tears, it was so life-like.

He's now on the wall in our living room, and we still get to see him everyday. You can see the painting on my blog if you go to this link. It's in the picture where I'm holding the pumpkin. Al is in the background on the left.

http://www.madtexter.com/2009/09/beef-bourguingnon-bliss_26.html

All best to you and yours. There are seasons for a reason, and Buck's spirit will rise again in another living creature. I have to believe that.

Reya Mellicker said...

I am so sad to read this sad news. May he fly high!

Wha a beautiful tribute to this beautiful animal. Thinking of you with love.

steven said...

hi lizzy - this was such a beautiful sad story and i am thinking of you as you spend time with your memories of buck. i love that you took care of him when he most needed you and that he then took care of you when you most needed him. have a peaceful day. steven

karen said...

So sorry to hear about Buck. I have been through this so many times, and it never gets any easier, really. Sending you some warm African wishes x

sageweb said...

So sorry about your loss..Big HUG!