On our second day at the Grand Canyon we decided we'd walk down the North Kaibab Trail. This trail goes all the way to the bottom of the canyon, but we are just going down about 500 feet which is about 1 1/2 miles each way because of the switchbacks. The first photograph will have information about the North Kaibab Trail if you would like to read it. Remember to double click on any photo if you would like to enlarge it to fit your screen.

The going down is not too difficult, but I was concerned about coming back up the trail. We are pretty much "flatlanders" and this altitude is almost 8800 feet. I did not get really out of breath as I have done when I hiked in Colorado, but of course those hikes were above 10,000 feet (climbing up some of the 14-ers (peaks at 14,000 feet). I felt like I needed oxygen, but I digress...
One must remember to take enough water so as not to become dehydrated as it is very dry here and this is a somewhat strenuous hike. I hope you will enjoy this first trail we took.

Starting out...
I discovered if I focused on something in the foreground
the distance & expanse of the canyon
in the background gave more depth & understanding
of how immense this canyon really is.

I love the beautiful foliage as we do not get
to experience many color changes where we live.

In central Texas the leaves are green, then they turn brown and fall off.
We have no real dramatic seasonal changes.


...so I have gone nuts taking photos of the changing colors.

Most of the trees with brilliant gold and red leaves are aspen trees.
Aspen can also be recognized by the white bark on the trunks.
There are many aspen in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado
and I was pleased to see them here as well.
Aspen grow where there are few evergreens.
The evergreens as they grown larger shade the aspen
and they can't survive in that environment.
Aspen are usually the first trees to grow back after a forest fire
which kills the evergreens thus opening up the sky for the aspen.
The aspen regenerate from the root system if they are not too
damaged by fire.

We are still wending our way down the trail.

Looking at the view & trying to capture it to use in my blog.

We met the mule train on their way back up the trail.
They left the lodge at 7:30 this morning and will be back around 11:00.
Their route went past our destination and on down another 500 or more feet.
It's around 9:30 and we meet them on their return.

Down there is where we are going.
Two couples have made it down and are exchanging pleasantries.

They also are resting for the hike back UP the mountain.

The G-man did really well even though he doesn't walk as much as I. He experienced no cramping of the legs as he sometimes does when he walks the hills with me & Gertie in our neighborhood. We have made it to the point we wanted to reach and are taking a little rest.

Here's Lizzy looking over the edge into the canyon below.
Beautiful view!

More beautiful foliage.


Stunning.
Now we are starting back up the trail.

First rest stop on the way back up.
Walk a ways & stop in a shady area.


Another rest stop, but we are almost back to the top.
When we started out the temperature was in the 30 degree F range,
but it quickly warms up and of course there is the exercise!
Soon I shall show you the other trails we walked,
but now I need a rest just thinking about what we did!
12 comments:
Wow! You are fit! I'm tired just watching you two.
What a trip. I give you both huge amounts of credit for walking that.
Love Renee xoxo
How exciting!! You two are very adventurous - especially in that heat. Thanks for sharing your pictures!
Awesome. So pretty. :D
Wow!
It is one of my husband's dreams to see The Grand Canyon, so your wonderful "virtual" tour may keep him mollified for a little while.
Very interesting about the aspens too - a tree I have heard about, but never really known about.
Thanks Lizzy.
Lizzy,
Thank you so much for stopping by!!! And your kind words and encouragement!!! This is a beautiful post!!! You are a fabulous photographer!!! You can be sure that I will be back...today, though, I'm a little groggy from surgery...and on heavy painkillers!! So I'll wait to return when I'm no longer "loopy." In the meantime, I'm sending all my best to you~ Janine XO
hey lizzy - thanks for taking us along for the beautiful walk into the depths of the canyon. i love this. steven
Lakeviewer & Renee, thanks for stopping by... I am so glad we were able to do this hike.
Bonnie, it was a lovely day and really was not hot at all, although it was warmer in the canyon than along the rim. The canyon protected us from some cool winds that were atop.
Titus, I am so happy to be the "virtual" tour guide for you & your husband. The Grand Canyon really is an amazing place and there are quite a number of national parks in this area which I shall post soon. It is known as the grand circle and includes many interesting places in about a 5 state area. Quite amazing.
Sniffles, I'm glad you stopped by and hope you are recovering well. Take care.
Steven, I'm so happy to hear from you and glad you enjoyed the tour!
Good wishes! Lizzy
Natalie, it is some pretty country here, but then you have some gorgeous & spectacular places as well!
Beautiful!!! Great blog you have here! I just became your newest follower.
Cheers
Holli in Ghana
Post a Comment