Friday, October 15, 2010

Walking in Bastrop State Park


It's just a walk in the park
on this lovely autumn day.


After crossing over the bridge
and walking about 1/4 mile


Gertie & I came upon this pretty little lake.



Lots of berry bushes around this area
and the birds really love them.

We have lots around our house
that we keep watered & pruned
for the birds to enjoy.

They are also pretty to see.



I have a map of the trails
which are well marked
and color-coded.


Woo-wee, I am so glad to see this bench.
It isn't as pretty as some Angela sees on
her walks, but it is very inviting
after an uphill hike.


Gertie & I will take advantage of this little break.




After more up-hill hiking
we get to the overlook.
There really isn't much to
see in the distance other
than what we have already
walked through, but we'll take a little rest.


This is one of the structures built by the
Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930's.
(I'll have to check that date)


There are structures like this
as well as old water fountains
throughout the park.


Notice the stones in the passage way.

There are cabins in another
area of the park built by the CCC available for rent.
I think each has a fireplace, kitchen, bath.
On my next visit I'll check it out.



Mushroom/Toadstool
poking through the pine needles.


Pretty clear sky with the sun shining brightly.
We walk the same route back to our car.
Yes, there it is through the trees.



Time to head home.
We've been here about 2 1/2 hours
so I think our walk is over.
I know 2 beings who will sleep well tonight!

10 comments:

Wanda..... said...

That large tree appears to have fallen right across a trail, that happens so often on the paths in our woods. The stone structures look massive.

steven said...

lizzy thanks for the beautiful walk! i could build a cabin right by that little lake and be quite happy!!! steven

Nancy said...

Hiking is one of my favorite things to do. This hike looks lovely - I can almost smell the fresh air.

K. said...

The CCC structure is probably from the 30s. I believe that LBJ administered the CCC in Central Texas.

R. Burnett Baker said...

Hi Lizzy! Passed through Bastrop County on 290 just yesterday morning driving from Austin to Shepherd, Texas. Arrived back in Rochester NY this afternoon.

The Oct. weather there is just wonderful this time of year, albeit way too dry. Did a round the state trip with my mother this past week that included Tyler, Amarillo, Memphis (TX), Austin, and Seguin. Got a few photos on the old 35mm Nikon but they didn't turn out too good. Oh well....A D90 is in my future!

Thought about you along the hiway....Thanks for the lovely photos!

Rick

Cheryl Cato said...

Rick, it's so nice you thought of me as you whizzed through Bastrop! That makes me feel great! What a whirlwind trip you & your mom had! I hope the weather was nice all over the state for you. October is a wonderful month to be in Texas. I sat outside most of today reading... and yesterday I was at the TX Book Festival in Austin.

Kerry said...

What a perfectly beautiful dog walk. The CCC structure is really cool-looking, so sturdy, built to last. I always enjoy coming upon them.

CAMISOLA PRETA said...

I just feel like going down south to see all those amazing landscapes.
Thanks Lizzy for sharing it with us!

Folkways Note Book said...

Cheryl, This is a first time on your wonderful post. Like all the photos -- they help tell your story. Thanks for visiting my blog and I will be back again, many times to visit you -- barbara

Angela said...

Thank you Lizzy, what a wonderful walk with you and Gertie (and I took Paco along, too). I liked your bench, even though it had no back, phew! I slept well afterwards, but will gladly come again.
When Steven said he`d like to build a cabin by that lake, I thought of the Yeats poem "The lake isle of Innisfree" ...and a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made. Nine bean rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee and live alone in the bee-loud glade... That`s it, Steven and Lizzie, huh?