From: Jambalaya Cookbook
Yield: Serves 6
Ingredients:
2 Tablespoon bacon grease (I sometimes make my roux with olive oil rather than bacon grease)
2 Tablespoons flour (I use whole wheat flour)
½ cup chopped onion
1 green bell pepper, chopped
½ cup chopped celery
1 cup quick grits (better to use regular grits than "quick" grits---cook according to package directions)
3 fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
1 cup ground ham (diced ham can be used, but ground makes the flavor saturate the dish)
Bacon, cooked to crispy and crumbled
(Occasionally I add andouille sausage, sliced & quartered, which adds a spiciness to the dish.)
Directions: In a heavy skillet, heat bacon grease and gradually add flour, stirring constantly, until roux becomes light brown. Add onion, green bell pepper and celery; cook 5 minutes. Cook grits according to package directions and add to roux and vegetable mixture. Add tomatoes and ham. Sprinkle with bacon and serve immediately.

5 comments:
One word: yum.
Chery. That header is exquisite! Where was that taken? Absolutely stunning.
As for the recipe...you had me at 'bacon grease.' I'm allergic to shellfish, so I'll stick with the andouille sausage. MmmMmm.
Thanks for a real day brightener.
lizzy the header and the food reach me at my most vulnerable! thankyou. steven
Reya, I didn't know how this would go over outside the south. I can't get Gerald very interested, but I love grits when it's well cooked.
Jo, that photo is from my front door. Evergreens, oh yeah!
Steven, I'm sure you like the evergreens without any snow, but I'm a little suspect that you would like the grits! Hope you are well, warm & safe.
I love grits but I'm not that big a fan of jambalaya. I do like shrimp though.
Post a Comment