I very often talk to my New York friends about our having been an independent nation for nine years. About the President of the Republic of Texas, and I'll ask them to name the major US city that's named for him. Only one co-worker got the answer right and he was just guessing. Ha....
Sometimes in jest I'll say in mock disgust, "I'm glad I'm not an American!!" to which they'll ask, "then what are you?" I always say "I'm a Texan, and don't you forget it!"
Eyes roll, and they just walk away shaking their heads. I have a ball doing that. Keeps these Nawtherners on their frozen toes!!
Bee, I think you are absolutely right about that Texans think of themselves as Texan first. Even as a transplant I always say I'm Texan. I really love this state!
How cool that your grandparents were married on March 2nd! I wonder if they had a Texas flag flying high at the wedding?
5 comments:
I very often talk to my New York friends about our having been an independent nation for nine years. About the President of the Republic of Texas, and I'll ask them to name the major US city that's named for him. Only one co-worker got the answer right and he was just guessing. Ha....
Sometimes in jest I'll say in mock disgust, "I'm glad I'm not an American!!" to which they'll ask, "then what are you?" I always say "I'm a Texan, and don't you forget it!"
Eyes roll, and they just walk away shaking their heads. I have a ball doing that. Keeps these Nawtherners on their frozen toes!!
:)
I love, love, love your jesting, Rick! Texans yes... whether native born or those like me who got here as fast as I could!
My Texas grandparents were married on this day. Regarding RBB's comment, don't you think that Texans tend to think of themselves as THAT first?
Bee, I think you are absolutely right about that Texans think of themselves as Texan first. Even as a transplant I always say I'm Texan. I really love this state!
How cool that your grandparents were married on March 2nd! I wonder if they had a Texas flag flying high at the wedding?
Well Happy Birthday Texas!
I have family in Texas....
I lived in Texas a couple of times....
My novella coming out in June has Fort Worth as a setting
Go Texas! :-D
Post a Comment