Thursday, November 10, 2011

Beautiful Monarch Butterfly

I suppose this is the season for the
Monarch Butterfly
to be migrating to Mexico,
but it seems kind of late in the year.

Last weekend I was out front watching
and photographing the big debris truck
pick up, load, and haul off all the dead
trees that we have cut.

I turned around and on my sunflowers
was this lovely Monarch Butterfly
flitting from flower to flower to
gain sustenance for its trip farther south.

This photo is a bit blurred,
but still it shows the beauty
of this magnificent creature.

Today I saw two more Monarchs in our front yard,
one was large and the other very small.


It is so grand that in the midst of all the debris
in my neighborhood, the G-man and I have a
little oasis for all creatures great and small to gather.

For some reason it is difficult for me to post
photographs of the devastation around us.
It is much more fun to post something positive
like the butterfly migrating through Bastrop County.

I have photos of dead trees, piles of brush and timber,
of workers coming through to take down and get rid
of the unpleasantness. I also have photos of the 
reconstruction process of our back and side yards
and will try to post these soon. I may do so without
comment as the photos just about tell the tale. 
Jim, a young-ish man from the neighborhood is
designing and building paths in our backyard from
rocks in his parents yard. Their home burned and they
do not plan to rebuild so I asked about buying these
supplies and hiring Jim to do the work. It is turning out
better than I even expected. More on that soon.

9 comments:

JJ Roa Rodriguez said...

thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures of such gorgeous butterflies.... love it!

JJRod'z

ellen abbott said...

The drought (and fires) have been hard on the migrating butterflies this year. No food to sustain them on their journey.

R. Burnett Baker said...

I wonder if their migration has been slightly delayed this year... It's been relatively warm here right into early November. I did see quite a few Monarchs while I was in the Hill Country.....

Cheryl Cato said...

Thanks JJ. It is great watching the Monarchs.

Cheryl Cato said...

Ellen, the bees are suffering too because of the drought. I have water out for the birds and the bees come to it as much as do the birds. We still have hummingbirds at our feeders. I think some of them are wintering here rather than going farther south.

Cheryl Cato said...

Rick, I have been wondering this also. I think the warm weather is keeping them from migrating as early as usual.

Wanda..... said...

I was startled to see a Monarch here just over a week ago...I like to think it made it there to you.

Kathryn Magendie said...

such beauty and poignancy in this post and photos . . .

Cheryl Cato said...

Wanda, wouldn't that be something if such a thing did happen... if it flew from your home to mine.

Kathryn, thank you for stopping by my place!