Sunday, December 28, 2008

Overlooking the Sceine River - Paris, France


On a cold December day Gerald & I are in Paris (12/21/08). We have been on a zippy bus tour of the city, did a short visit to the Musee d'Orsay (about 3 hours), and went for a walk down the Champs Elysees to the Arc d'Triomph. The Parisians were out in masses this Sunday before Christmas. I can't tell that they are shopping as much as just enjoying their city. The sheer numbers of people on the streets is almost shocking. It's the same in New York City so why I am surprised at the masses is silly. In actuality it is wonderful to see so many people walking, talking, visiting museums, going shopping, stopping for coffee, and just looking about their city. Living in a small town I don't see this happening so much. Even when I lived in Austin there was more traveling from place to place by car rather than by foot or bus and there is no metro at home. There are still cars around Paris, but not many compared to the number of people who actually reside in this inner city area which is only about 6 miles across. Gerald & I covered at least 2 miles today on foot. Last evening we probably walked that far going up to and then back down from Montmartre.
I wish I could see this city on a sunny day. The entire trip from Arles to Paris has taken place under cloud cover with some rain on the second day. A clear crisp day with lots of sun would be beautiful and give this city great color either in spring or autumn. We picked a poor season to visit, but we enjoyed it without so many other tourists. We feel sure we are mostly seeing people who live here.
I doubt we shall ever make the trip again. It is just so hard to travel by air. The airplanes are so uncomfortable, the flights are long, and the jet lag is hard on the body. Then there is the language barrier for the two of us. Neither of us speak French and totally depend on the kindness of the French to help us. Saying "bon jour" before attempting to ask a question or order food is a real necessity not to mention it is just plainly good manners. At home don't we say "hello" before we ask for something? We greet our wait people in restaurants before diving into placing our order for dinner. It is just civil to do so. I think had we gone to Spain, Italy, or even Germany the language barrier would have been less difficult for me ... but it would not have been France!

1 comment:

goooooood girl said...

your blog is very fine......