Sunday, March 8, 2009

Travelog - Near Vermillion Cliffs & Navajo Bridge, Arizona

As it turns out I did not visit any interesting Texas towns when I went on the golf outing with Gerald. I ended up riding around the course with him. Unfortunately, I did not bring him good luck. He was having a bit of a problem with his putting and ended up making a bit higher score than he's used to making. Not a bad score ... he came in about 3rd or 4th, but just not what he wanted. He says he's depressed over his performance ... he'll bounce back. He's great!

Now because I don't have anything to report from the Texas front, I decided to post some rather interesting photos of a little wayside in northern Arizona. It's on Hwy 89 A which is the more scenic route out of Kanab, Utah into Arizona. I hope you will enjoy these photos. These photos were taken in early December 2007. I suppose this could be considered "recycling" although I don't think I've posted about these houses before now. Back in 12/12/07 I did write about our Utah trip and that was one of my earliest posts.

Here we are entering the beautiful & scenic Navajo lands of Northern Arizona. We had just come out of the Kaibab National Forest on Hwy 89 A from Kanab, Utah and entered into Arizona near the northern rim of the Grand Canyon. In three tries we have not been able to visit the northern rim. The first time we tried to go there were forest fires in the area and the road leading into that area of the Canyon was off limits. The second and third times the Parks Department had just closed the road in because of winter and snow had begun to fall. As you can see there is no snow in the lower elevations after going into Arizona. This is one of the most interesting drives that we have taken.



After driving for a while we came upon an area called Balancing Rock. Back in the 1920s & 1930s (if memory serves me) someone built houses into these "balancing rocks". It is an interesting stop and I wandered around taking a few photos of these houses and the interiors.






Beautiful, Interesting, Desolate

One would have to be a hermit to want to live in this remote area.



Interior Shots of the House

A Lean-To on side of the House

Navajo Bridge that spans the Colorado River

Colorado River that runs through & helped form the Grand Canyon

5 comments:

Unknown said...

These are wonderful photos-- thanks for posting them. I know Eberle will enjoy seeing them, too!

Delwyn said...

Morning Lizzy - do you mind me calling you Lizzy, each time I deliberate and wonder if I should write Cheryl... but I think of you as Lizzy?

I am really enjoying your forays into different parts of this huge country of yours, particularly places I will possibly never visit. Its good to be able to travel vicariously these days.
Thanks

Natalie said...

I second that! Desolate indeed, but beautiful too.x

Fire Byrd said...

What an amazing place, astonishing photos Cheryl. How hot was it when you were there?

I hadn't realised that I wasn't following you since you're on my blog roll, so rectified that now.
x

Cheryl Cato said...

John, yes I hope Eberle enjoys them too. Thanks!

Delwyn - I hope to take you on a tour of our lands over time. You may certainly call me Lizzy. It's a name I gave myself in 1976 and it has stuck all these years. Lizzy for my middle name (Elizabeth) & Frizzfrock a made-up name because of my frizzy hair and the frock part is how my aunt referred to dresses. "Oh, she has on a pretty frock."

Natalie - it is a breathtaking area of the country.

Byrd - the temperature was in the 50 degree Fahrenheit range, but we had just come from a much higher elevation where it was snowing and around freezing. We drove on through the Hopi Indian Reservation through more snow & chilly temperatures. This was in Dec. 2007