Marfa's Solitary Refinementsby Jonathan Levitt
Is this the new thing... a newspaperman comes to town and is pretty intrigued by what he finds in the last town before El Paso, TX. Marfa is the "jumpin' off" place on the 200 mile drive west to the New Mexico border.
Read about the little town of Marfa, TX that is becoming known as an artists' haven. I've lived in Texas for 34 years and am always surprised at the interesting things I find when I travel about the state. Of course, the western part of the state where there are little towns like Marathon, Alpine, Fort Davis, Marfa, Terlingua, and Lajitas is dusty and dirty and wild! Marathon, Alpine, and Terlingua are the towns leading to the vast Big Bend National Park. Oh yeah, talk about wild! The desert, the mountains, and the Rio Grande are there to be hiked, traveled through by horseback or by kayak or raft. It is a playground for the adventurous and not for the feint of heart.
In the article Marfa's Solitary Refinements, Levitt describes some of my favorite spots in the town. Click on the link above to read his article.
1 comment:
Excellent. Thank you. Because of you, and Ellen and Bee (now in England) I'm getting such a different picture in my head of what Texas is really like. Thank you!!
Hope the weird dreams are receding. Mine are, thank god!
Post a Comment