Thursday, June 4, 2009

Theme Thursday = Clock (The Clock is Ticking)


Tick Tock

In response to Theme Thursday = Clock I thought it would be appropriate to link my post on the subject of Clock to my Wednesday post on saving our planet and civilization. As I wrote yesterday I watched the ABC News program with Bob Woodruff entitled Earth 2100. It was quite powerful.

Someone commented on the cartoon-ish drawings representing Earth as somewhat science fiction or fantasy as off-putting and perhaps not quite right for the seriousness of the issues. I've thought about that and concluded that I found no fault in the way the program was written, drawn, produced. I think the only way to represent what may lie in our
future is through this medium. Of course there were quite vivid photos and videos of the devastation after hurricanes as we have experienced in the U. S., of the ravages of drought as seen in photos of Bangladesh, of lakes drying up as in our own Lake Mead in Arizona.

There have been interesting comments made and one that stood out was this: "I read somewhere that people want to save the world but no-one is prepared to give anything up..."

I know most of us do little things to help but it is going to require bigger things than I or my household alone can do to save us. We will need guidance from leaders: government (national, state, local) leaders, corporate leaders, religious or spiritual leaders, educational leaders, etc. Where we go from here - from this point in time - will determine the outcome of our planet and our civilization. "Could this be the final century of our civilization?" Tick Tock.

14 comments:

Reya Mellicker said...

Do you remember how wasteful we were in the 70's? Driving our gas guzzlers, eating the worst crap possible, tossing all that packaging into the garbage? There wasn't any recycling program in Kansas City at that time. No organic grocery stores, no mindfulness of the environment. There was no such thing as a "green" building. Everything was carcinogenic - did we care? We didn't even think about it.

I think things are improving, and though we have a long way to go, we're working on it.

One thing I don't appreciate is sensationalistic reports created to frighten us. How in the world can that help?

I salute your mindfulness and devotion to making the changes we have to make, but I was not thrilled with the program.

Cheryl Cato said...

Reya, your last comment is interesting. I suppose it could be considered sensationalistic and doesn't that just remind one of our last Administration and how they sensationalized everything to do with 9/11 and it's aftermath. We were fearful enough as it was and did not need to be lied to and terrorized by our own government into putting up with the Bush/Cheney administration for another 4 years. Point taken about sensationalizing the issue!

Tess Kincaid said...

I know we have a long way to go, but I was feeling very proud of my recycling habits, only this morning. Like Reya mentioned, we have certainly come a long way from the 70s, or even 90s, for that matter.

Debo Hobo said...

We've come a long way, but we have so much further to go.

Angela said...

Since in the seventies a Green Party was founded in Germany, we have given a lot of thinking to these waste matters, and we have all changed our old habits. So education does help (we have solar energy cells on our rooftop, made our house energy-proof so no waste gets out. We collect rain water from our roof into a tank and use it for our garden, many things to act wisely...and done by many).
But let`s face it, overpopulation is the worst issue, don`t you think? And everyone wanting everything, which is human nature. I`m not sure if my walking to the grocer`s and being mindful of waste can really help?

The Silver Fox said...

Yeah, in a very real way our "clock" is ticking... but I agree with Reya, above. We have come a long way. There was a great scene in the first season of "Mad Men." A family had just finished a picnic. The father crushed and threw his empty beer can into the woods, while the wife "cleaned" the tablecloth by shaking all the paper plates, plastic utensils, and other garbage onto the ground.

Ronda Laveen said...

In our area, solar powered housing is quite common. Not in the majority yet, but comming along. Change often takes time your post begs the question, how much do we have left?

Brian Miller said...

telling post for our times...interesting comment you recieved...who will stand up and lead. will it be someone from this upcoming generation ready to replace the ideas of the old guard. ready to try something unthought of? what will it take to shake people out of their slumber

Wings1295 said...

It is tough to re-train a whole planet, that's for sure!

Ah well, even if time runs out for people, I think the planet has a lot more time left to spin around!

Megan said...

Every little bit helps.

Anonymous said...

Debo Hobo is right. We seem to be going back-wards. There's even more packaging involved now ,than ever before. It's out of controlle!

Seeker said...

I agree with Megan "Every little bit helps"!!!!!!

xoxox

karen said...

I do feel every bit does help, and that we have all become rather more thoughtful about things. HOwever, the overall size of the problem does feel really daunting..

Fire Byrd said...

If we each make our own small steps then slowly we the impact will be felt. When I started sorting my waste into recyclable etc I never thought my sons would follow , and what do you know food waste goes in the food waste, plastic in the recycling bin. Just gotta get youngest to remember not to leave his computor on!People are starting to care, at least ones round where I live as long as they're not school kids, who should know better.
I think the Al Gore film should be made compulsory viewing in schools.

xx