Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Birthday USA from Bastrop!

This morning Gertie & I went to downtown Bastrop to see the U. S. American flags along the street. We were early & the flags had not been placed. As you can see there are a few folks gathering for an early breakfast or coffee. Maxine's on Main is a gathering place for many of the old-time locals.


At least some of the businesses had put up their bunting in anticipation of the day's celebrations.
While we were waiting for the flags to arrive Gertie & I began to walk around taking photos & enjoying the morning.


Grace Miller's Cafe ~ Lunch & Dinner Served

Tea & Sympathy Tea Room. This looks like a fun little tea room to visit.

Iced Tea just $1.00

Gertie is checking out the little bird houses.

The patio at the Tea Room

Peeking through the window of the Tea Room

Gertie is patiently waiting. She's such a good girl!

The old county jail above and below is the Bastrop County Courthouse.




A couple of restaurants located on Main Street.
Green Chai Cafe, a new place to lunch and Maxine's on Main, an old hangout for the locals.


The American flags have arrived. David Lewis (right) and Mike Kurley (center) are getting the flags placed.
Below Linda Roberts is a happy flag bearer.



All the work is paying off.
The breeze came up and the flags are waving in the wind.
So beautiful.

Flags and flowers.



Let's walk across the old bridge that spans the Colorado River.


Gertie is enjoying our stroll around town.



Kayaking on the Colorado. This is so much fun; I especially enjoy kayaking in the fall when the weather is a bit cooler & the leaves are changing along the river bank.



Hike & bike trail along the river.

The Bastrop Fire Department.



To be continued... Visit with us tomorrow for a stroll through the historic residential area of Bastrop. I hope you have enjoyed seeing our little downtown area. Happy Fourth of July!! Be safe!

5 comments:

Renee said...

Boy Lizzy your photographs are amazing.

Love Renee xoxo

Unknown said...

Another wonderful photo documentary-- it seems like I can really start to get the feel of your part of the world from these posts.

My other thought-- Gertie is a really cute dog!

Cheryl Cato said...

Thanks for stopping by Renee & John! It is fun walking around taking photos.

Dani said...

I love the photos! What a sweet town with so much history. It's like being transported in time with all those historic buildings and streets.

I found your site via Reya's, and I look forward to your posts and photos.

-Dani

The Old Gray Egg said...

Your tour makes me want to visit Bastrop. It's nice to know there are dog friendly towns around right on the river. And one thing we don't see much of any more is a real RED fire engine! Most have converted to that blinding chartreuse.