After we left the downtown area the morning of the Fourth, we went to see how the residences were decorated. We happened upon a yard sale with lots of knickknacks, old furniture, posters etc. for sale. Of course we passed ~ at this stage I need to be getting rid of things and not adding to my stash!
As we walked along looking at the pretty houses, speaking to people, enjoying the morning, I thought about how lucky we are to live in a free society. We as a society have come a long way since my childhood... that is not to say we have reached the pinnacle, but we have advanced in what we are supposed to be as humans.
A good deal of this advancement is due to our government and our leaders. When I was in my late teens segregation ended, the Voter Rights Act was passed, in the 1970s people became more adjusted to sexual preferences of individuals, more people were able to receive a college education, and women began to have a larger roll in government and business.
Some people want government out of our lives, but I can't help but think if we had not had government insistence that we behave more like human beings then we may still be in the darker days. There is much more to do, but if our children have been taught well the progress will continue.
I feel lucky to live in a society where the government does try to do the right thing. After all the government is of the people; it is a reflection of us. Thankfully there are more caring, deeper and long-term thinking people that elect visionaries to guide us.
Below are items from the yard sale.
Cute old toys, knickknacks, lighting fixtures, posters were for sale.
Cute old toys, knickknacks, lighting fixtures, posters were for sale.
Handmade rocking horse complete with mop for tail!
It looks more like a rocking dog, but how cute & original.
Back home. The sun is shining brightly with blue sky above the pine trees.
We need flags ( U. S. & Texas) for our house... next year perhaps.
We need flags ( U. S. & Texas) for our house... next year perhaps.
12 comments:
Thanks for the tour--great photos as always. I was especially taken with the yard sale items, but there were some beautiful houses as well.
I'm with you as far as your words about government go, 100%!
What a delightful stroll! I especially enjoyed the yard sale and those wonderful letter boxes.
I love your blogger name! :))
«Louis» enjoyed the tour! Thank you for being our tourguide!
What a beautiful blog!
I look forward to reading more,
Such a pleasure to meet you and many thanks for your kindness to me.
Blessings of love and peace to you and yours,
M
I am loving your walking tours of these small towns. Have you thought of putting together a travel book just for small west Texas towns with really cool names? I can see your pic on the inside back cover. You are wearing your cowboy hat in my imagination, of course.
Bark Park? Oh yeah!!
How exceptionally lovely. I do so love going on these tours with you, Lizzy. Thank you very much for taking us along with you. It is always such an absolute pleasure.
You have an eye for the detail that says so much about the whole. An excellent post, full of interest.
lizzie look at those homes!! wow!!! i have to say my favourite - to paint in - would be the little hut with the paintings outside it!! to klive in? well i'd like to do the rounds of all of them. one a day, then start all over.
i don't think much about government (and sometimes not much of government!) but i agree with what you say here. i'm glad that for the most part, government has pushed society to be more accepting and to honour divergence and diversity as a human condition.
lovely blog lizzy!!!! i'll be back!! steven
Thank you all so much for visiting. It is such fun for me to share these little towns with you. The houses looked especially pretty on this morning, but I find it so amusing & interesting to look at the little things such as the mailboxes, fences, the decorative bicycle & of course all the trinkets at the yard sale.
Saturday morning yard sales may become an interest... however, it is possible that I just happened on a good one on the 4th.
Thanks all, Lizzy
Hello Lizzy,
Thanks for visiting and becoming a follower! You are always welcome.
This area looks splendid, such impressive homes and all very patriotic.
Lizzy I wonder if quaint was invented for the look of this town. I love thes walkabouts.
xooo
Post a Comment