Gotta go, gotta go!
Gotta go to Mexico!
Gotta go to Mexico!
One of my favorite children's books is Gotta Go, Gotta Go! written by Sam Swope. When I was the librarian in an elementary school in east Austin, TX I always read this book to the students during the migratory season for butterflies. This is the story of a butterfly that comes into existence in late August. Monarchs hatched at this time of year migrate to the south and return in the spring to breed and begin the life of the early summer butterfly. The early summer butterfly breeds and its offspring is the one to migrate to the destination of its grandparents.
(For more information please see the following: Monarch Watch and Monarchs in Mexico.)
through central Texas.
are on their way to Michoacan, Mexico
where they will spend the winter.
and can be seen from morning until 1 PM
flying around the town and covering the sky.
13 comments:
How cool! I have a Monarch picture on my blog header. I knew they migrated but I never realized you could see thousands of them migrating together. I am totally fascinated!
Dear Miss Frizzfrock,
You never cease to amaze me with your photographic journeys and the words of your life experience. I hope you know that I visit your blog pad because it brings a little more light to my day.
Thank you...and thank God for butterflies!
Wow Lizzy! Wonderful photographs, so interesting to see the Monarchs en route.
Does it not make you stop and think, "Why?"
Fabulous photos and story. I would love to see thousands of monarchs at once.
Corey... I'm so happy to bring a little "light to your day"! Have a wonderful weekend!
Titus
...and the Monarch said, "Why not?"
Cuidado, it is quite wonderful to see. Once I was camping on a ranch just north of where I live and about 5 PM literally thousands of Monarchs flew into the little grove of trees surrounding my campsite. They stayed the night & the next morning as the sun touched their wings they began to fly south. Really amazing!
Stunning photos! The Monarch migration is a fascinating topic.
Hi Lizzy,
Found your blog through madtexter. Great photos, and a site I want to visit regularly. Being a native Texan, your pics, especially of the Hill country take me home in my mind.
I go back regularly to the Big Thicket area where my parents live, since my Dad is not well. Quite a hike from Rochester, NY. Houston isn't the place I grew up in, but at my age, no place is I suppose. (Born in Lubbock with family in Amarillo and Kress.)
Anyway, your photos are beautiful and I'll be visiting again!
Thanks!
Rick
http://www.efficientagony.blogspot.com
http://www.bakerstake.blogspot.com
They are beautiful Lizzy. I am blessed to be able to look at your photographs and call you friend.
Love Renee xoxo
Migrating animals amaze me.
There's something so inspiring about the monarchs, their journey, their strength. Alice Hoffman wrote an effective, yet sad scene involving their migration in her novel The Ice Queen.
Beautiful!
thanks for sharing this.
best wishes'Ribbon
Post a Comment