I left the G-man in bed, manually opened the garage, & drove to the local Starbucks. One of my neighbors was there. He & I drank coffee & visited for a while until he went to pick up his wife at jazz-ercise.
Back home with extra coffee to fortify us we built a nice roaring fire. Fortunately the electricity came back on about 10 or so & the house began to warm up again.
The turkeys reappeared around noon and flew onto the roof when the neighbor's dog, Mo appeared. Mo likes to tree the squirrels and I suppose he wonders what these big birds are doing in the yard.
The backyard has been busy with all sorts of birds this morning. A chickadee was hoping for a drink of water, but alas the water is still frozen. A pileated woodpecker was in the yaupon eating berries, but alas we have not seen either the male or female buff-belly hummingbird today. I hope they made it through the cold night.
They are not fearful of me, but zoom when Mo appears.
6 comments:
lizzy can you eat wild turkey?!!! seems like they're making their way closer and closer to your kitchen!!! i hope that the power outages don't return. we get those in the winter and they're deadly 'cause the pipes freeze, explode, and then ... welll it's ugly. have a lovely evening. steven
I can't believe how cold it's been getting and we aren't nearly as cold as you. I had a female cardinal flitting from water source to water source this morning and all were frozen over. I put out some water for her. We had a huge icicle hanging down on the side of the house from the pipe that drains the condensation from the AC/heat.
Steven, yes, one can eat wild turkey! I wonder what happened to the mother turkey... she used to come with her 2 chicks. I suppose she was showing them around the neighborhood. Now it is just the two; perhaps she ended up on someone's dinner table.
Poor things, this cold snap must confuse many fine feathered friends.
hello turkeys on the roof from monkeys :-)
Empathising wildly here as we're currently freezing, all day and all night! Love the turkeys, and the photograph of the woodpecker is wonderful.
Good luck with the electricity supply, but I'm very jealous you've got a Starbucks to drive to "just in case".
Post a Comment