Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Great Backyard Bird Count


Birds as seen from our back window -- truly a "backyard bird count"!
Record ID: S5910178

Locality: 78602, Bastrop, Bastrop County, TX
Observation Date: FEB 13, 2010
Start Time: 8:00 AM
Total Birding Time: 5 hours 15 minutes
Party Size: 2
Skill: excellent
Weather: excellent
Snow Depth: No snow was present
Habitat(s): coniferous woods
Number of Species: 16
All Reported: yes

Checklist:
Wild Turkey - 2
Black Vulture - 30
Turkey Vulture - 10
Mourning Dove - 2
Inca Dove - 3
Buff-bellied Hummingbird - 1 Confirmed
Red-bellied Woodpecker - 1
Pileated Woodpecker - 1
Blue Jay - 3
American Crow - 4
Carolina Chickadee - 2
Tufted Titmouse - 5
Carolina Wren - 1
Chipping Sparrow - 30
Northern Cardinal - 30
American Goldfinch - 1

Comments ----------------------------------------
The Buff-bellied hummingbird has been in our yard since October and was included in the Christmas bird count. There is no doubt that it is a male buff-bellied hummingbird!

6 comments:

steven said...

lizzy - i am truly awed by your commitment and then also your knowledge. i hear birdsong and i try to see the bird. i'm thrilled when i see them no matter what they look like but i've no idea what tthey are. steven

ellen abbott said...

How do you know you are seeing different birds and not the same bird over and over?

Unknown said...

How wonderful--I love watching the birds in our yard; we have four feeders!

Rosaria Williams said...

How fun! It's the perfect time to get a nationwide count. Are there other times? Like in Autumn?

Cheryl Cato said...

Steven... these are pretty common birds that I have listed; otherwise, I have to get out one of the bird books on our shelf.

Ellen... we had all those cardinals & sparrows at one time in the yard... and the vultures are circling overhead leaving from or heading toward their roosts so it's easy to get a count.

John, it really is fun watching them when I'm in the kitchen or at the table in front of a big window. They just come & go from our 4 feeders also; plus we have a thistle feeder & 2 hummingbird feeders.

Rosaria, I don't know if there is another one for autumn or spring, but I'll let you know if there is. Of course in late Dec through Jan 5 Audubon does its bird count for the year.

Seeker said...

Sounds so interesting.
And I agree you show much knowledge about this issue.

I never see birds in my backyard... :o(

xoxoxo