Monday, February 1, 2010

The First Daffodil of the Year

Daffodils
William Wordsworth

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced, but they
Out-did the sparkling leaves in glee;
A poet could not be but gay,
In such a jocund company!
I gazed—and gazed—but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

8 comments:

Miranda said...

yay!

ellen abbott said...

No kidding! You have a daffodil already? Mine haven't even poked out of the ground.

Titus said...

Wow, Lizzy! No signs of spring here yet really, so very jealous!
And what other choice of poem to complement it?

steven said...

what a glorious way to start the day! thanks so much lizzy. frost flowers bloomed on my window last night! steven

Cheryl Cato said...

I was so surprised to see the daffodil! It has been so cold here that I thought the blooms would be delayed. ...and I love that poem, it makes my heart sing!

Rosaria Williams said...

We have flowering camelias and almond trees as well as daffodils. Spring is here already; el nino brought it early for us.

Angela said...

I love the mountains, I love the daffodils... la la la lala.
Here we have new snow and icy wind. No daffodils to even think of! Me, jealous, too.

Unknown said...

Wow--daffodils--or at least daffodil--we're a month plus from crocuses!