Monday, April 26, 2010

Lover-ly Days

The weather has been lover-ly lately. We've had cool mornings (in the 50s) getting warmer into the upper 70s & low 80s as the days progress. It is a great time for the plants and for us. We are able to sit out on the patio and enjoy cool westerly breezes and gorgeous blue skies. The only thing missing are the myriad birds that we had during the winter months. They have flown north to delight folks in other parts of the country, but they will be back next fall & welcomed immensely.

Gertie & I have taken walks along shaded lanes. She has been able to sniff around in the tall grasses. Even when she is in our backyard her nose is lifted into the air sniffing & sniffing. The fresh air is wonderful with a scent of honeysuckle.



Mexican heather, kolanchoe, and shamrock


Miss Kitty relaxing


Kolanchoe and amaryllis


Amaryllis and honeysuckle


Gerald's tomato plants


Mint, oregano, rosemary


Our lovely green woods with yaupon, pine, oak & mimosa

Gertie Girl enjoying the air & sun.

Even with all this loveliness I sometimes have a sad feeling. Perhaps it's because I know really hot weather is coming. This year I will try to stay out of the heat as much as possible. My skin is rebelling. It seems no amount of sunscreen can really protect my skin... and then there is the heat. I'd like to retreat to a cooler climate but doubt that will be possible since our severest heat lasts at least 2 months and that's a long time to be away from home. I shall most likely spend time reading and blogging in air conditioning as the months progress.

Happy spring & summer to you folks in cooler climes and to you folks in the south... try to stay cool.

5 comments:

Rosaria Williams said...

Oh Lizzy, we should visit each other during those long, long uncomfortable times. I visit you in my rainy season; you visit me during your hot season. Heck, knowing you have so much sun to spare cheers me up already.
Knowing our summers never get above the 60's should cool you off. Besides, there is plenty of golf over here.

Seriously!

Unknown said...

I find myself melancholy sometimes in the spring, too--not sure what it is. We actually get quite brutal summers here--temps commonly in triple digits, tho where you are I expect there's humidity too. Don't know if that's it. Those are lovely photos. I especially like the one of Miss Kitty!

Leslie Parsley said...

Your plants and yard are lover-ly
indeed. Beauter-ful actually. And I love the critters, especially my gal Girtie.

That really is pretty where you are. I'm envious of being able to garden for most, if not all, of the year.

steven said...

the whole of your rich luxurious glorious world is wrapped up in that superb image of miss kitty!!!! steven

Cheryl Cato said...

Rosaria, that is the most delicious thought yet! Wouldn't it be lover-ly!

John, yes it is humid here... triple digits & humidity is exhausting!

TnLib, we actually get some cold days here. Our last winter had some freezing nights & days in the 30s & 40s for a couple of weeks. Not much to worry about as far as the cold though because it is usually fleeting.

Steven, yes, Miss Kitty does tend to put things in perspective for me!