Along the way there are birds and young alligators to stop and look at. We saw 3 or 4 young alligators along the edge of the water and were careful to make sure no adult alligators were there. I wonder if mother alligators hover over their young as do the ducks. I did read that baby alligators stay with their mothers for 1 to 1 1/2 years of age. It is always amazing to me how prehistoric alligators appear. They are the last of the living reptiles who are closely related to the dinosaur.
The lake is almost completely covered with green algae. I suppose the wood ducks who live on the lake and raise their young find much nourishment in their surroundings. If one looks closely an alligator or more can be spotted almost covered with algae when they are submerged. I am reasonably sure the parent Wood Ducks are ever vigilant in their hopes of keeping their young ones safe.
This swamp has more beautiful cypress trees and cypress knees that I have seen in many years. Of course the Okefenokee Swamp in south Georgia & north Florida has many, but those are mostly enjoyed by boating trips through the swamp. Here one can take leisurely walks over wooden walkways and natural paths to enjoy these beautiful trees.
4 comments:
wow it really is something from another time. so lush and then too that path looks very inviting. steven
Never get between a mother and her babies! I've been in areas like this where the nests were marked with flags so that no one would accidentally reap a mother 'gatpor's wrath by getting too near the eggs.
Steven, just imagine a hot summer day with all that green and moss plus humidity and no air conditioning. I wish I had photos of the plantation house... maybe online. The house must have had huge windows with transom doors and wide wrap-around porches.
K, I've never seen nests posted even along the Texas coast where there are even bigger 'gators in the bay at Aransas Wildlife Refuge.
Post a Comment