Saturday, June 26, 2010

Changing Writing Spaces

It seems I have lost my inspiration to write. Normally I have my laptop set up in a quiet little nook in my little room, but today I decided to move it in front of a double window that reaches almost from ceiling to floor. This way I can look out into our green backyard and watch the birds, squirrels, and occasional rabbit. I think it helps with the "creative process" and I don't feel so closed in.
In our yard I have 3 areas set up where the birds & other animals can get water and splash around. Just a few minutes ago a squirrel was getting water at the "watering hole" in the photo below. Then a Blue Jay flew onto the Shepard's Hook on his way to have a snack. Now I can see cardinals flitting around one of the feeders in the distance.

Just the other day Blue Jay dove into one of the containers filled with water, splashed around, jumped out then back in, and finally had a sip of water before hopping down the wooden retaining wall & into the shrubs. It is so fun to watch. This morning an adult woodpecker was getting seeds and carrying them to the little fledgling who was perched on the trunk of the pine tree. And very early, before the woodpeckers arrived, a large rabbit munched on our abundant grass (which needs mowing & edges need clipping AGAIN).

Yes, I'm happy sitting here watching the wildlife pass through this little piece of heaven that we call our backyard. I was about to get rid of the chairs in the distance because they have rusted and the legs are no longer the same length, but they have become a perch for cardinals, wrens, and sparrows, so I suspect the chairs will remain where they are for a while. The activity in the yard is truly amazing. Oh look, a cardinal is chasing a grasshopper... he almost caught it, but it managed to flit away.

4 comments:

ellen abbott said...

What a wonderful little world you have there.

K. said...

With this to look at, it's a wonder that you got any writing done!

Cheryl Cato said...

It is a lovely little patch and today I cleaned up around the edges with the weed-eater, cleaned out the birdbaths, watered & all the little animals and I are happy.
I do have hopes for the writing!

Anonymous said...

I just love your backyard. It looks so peaceful. I can see why you and the wildlife enjoy it so much!

As hot as it has been I can imagine the critters have really put the water holes.

Have a great day.
Pam