Tuesday, June 29, 2010

# 4 Flora at the Audubon Swamp Garden

Music of the Swamp
a sculpture is situated at the entrance.

I have always enjoyed being outdoors and taking in nature. All sorts of nature is appealing to me from dry or arid areas to wet, humid spaces. The G-man and I enjoy visiting areas where marshlands are abundant because of the wonderful birds, plants and flowers that can be seen. We especially enjoyed the flowers, greenery, lichen and mosses located in Audubon Swamp Garden at Magnolia Plantation. Duck Weed touches or covers everything that moves through the waters here.


Squirrel having a snack


Unknown blue cluster of flowers
Noe Noe Girl stopped by & tipped that this is a hydrangea!
Cool, huh?

It would please me to be able to identify these plants but I have not been able to find photographs online to help me. The closest I have come to any is by looking in my book of Texas Wildflowers, but that is not very helpful for another part of the country.

I suppose I am doing good to be able to identify some of the birds I see, of course, most of that is with the help of the G-man, several bird books, and searching online.

Lily pads
(above & below)


Turtle (Yellow-belly Slider) partially covered with Duck Weed.
The Duck Weed is abundant in the waters here.

Purple Iris happily growing amongst
the lichen covered wood and rocks.


These yellow flowers could be Yellow Coneflower
but I am no expert of flora.



Common Moorhen floating in Duck Weed.

The flowers along with the birds, mammals and reptiles were a real treat for the eyes. The swamp garden is named for the ornithologist and artist John James Audubon, who visited the plantation before the Civil War and is said to have collected waterfowl specimens there as models for his paintings.


Toward the end of the walk one finds the plantation workers' graveyard.
Some of the graves are from the late 1900s.
I wondered how many were from slave families or descendants of slaves.

9 comments:

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Hey Lizzy, thanks for stopping by. Those flowers are called hydrangeas. One of my favs. Great pic of the turtle too! Come back soon!
<><

Cheryl Cato said...

Perhaps this is a wild variety of hydrangeas because it didn't look like the kind that grows in backyards. Thanks for the tip.

Reya Mellicker said...

I, too love nature. The iris in the lichen is incredible. I love black-eyed susans.

For the plants whose names I don't know, I make up my own. Works for me.

Cheryl Cato said...

Reya, I like your thought process about making up names for flowers.

Leslie Parsley said...

When I had my horses - and even without them - I much preferred being out mucking and so forth. And I've always enjoyed walks in the woods, easy hikes - anything to be out and not in cleaning house!

As usual your pictures are beutiful. I do so enjoy them.

ellen abbott said...

these are lovely. I have never seen hydrangea growing 'wild'.

Cheryl Cato said...

Leslie, I enjoy being out mucking about also with or without the horses. However it is easier to be in the outdoors when the humidity & heat is not so oppressive.

Cheryl Cato said...

Ellen, I have searched through wildflowers online & in my wildflower book and have been unable to verify the identity of this lovely blue flower.

Anonymous said...

Strangely enough, I've always liked the appeal of old cemetaries. There's a million stories there and a title on every tombstone. It's like walking back in time.