Children's books that have beenbanned or challenged as listed in a blog article by Britney Wilkins in 50 Banned Books That Everyone Should Read. Please visit the site. This was published in 2009 and a great deal of work went into this blog article including links to articles that discuss why the books are challenged or banned.
Most books are challenged by parents for age-appropriateness and some have been banned from schools & school libraries. I think it is appropriate for parents to have a say in what their own children read, but not what is available for all. This I have stated at the end of this blog, but moved it up because I want to make sure it is noticed.
These books have all been at the heart of controversy over their appropriateness for children and youth to read. Britney Wilkins has done a fine job of explaining why each is in conflict. Please go to her article to see the 50 Banned Books That Everyone Should Read when you go to this list click on each title to read the reasons for challenging or banning that particular book.
- Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger.
Frequently a target of censorship, this classic coming-of-age story of a teenage boy in New York is often banned due to the language and sexuality–particularly a scene with a prostitute.
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.
Offensive language, in particular, one very racially-charged word, is the usual reason given for banning this book, which has been controversial since it was published in 1884. Twain’s famous story highlights the friendship between a white boy and a black man in a book that attempted to challenge the racism Twain saw around him.
- Forever by Judy Blume.
Blume is frequently the target of censorship as many of her books deal with teen issues revolving around becoming a sexual being. Forever documents a high school girl’s loss of virginity and delves into the emotional aspects of her choice.
- The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman.
This fantasy novel says much about friendship and loyalty, but it also says plenty about not following a religion blindly. Many have seen the book as anti-religion and have banned the book.
- Lord of the Flies by William Golding.
Most who oppose this book claim the violence, language, and the implication that man is little more than an animal as the reasons. The book depicts a microcosm of society played out on an island populated by young boys stranded there and trying to survive. The struggle between good and evil and the exploration of human nature can force readers to examine themselves in ways that may not feel comfortable.
- The Harry Potter series by JK Rowling.
Some parents object to the magic and wizardry that is at the heart of the Harry Potter books. Because of their objections, many schools and libraries have banned these books.
I can't say that I am surprised at this especially with the challenging of the L'Engle book A Wrinkle in Time, but I certainly don't agree with it. Most of the fairy tales I read or that were read to me as a small child would be banned under this code. Oddly enough, I read where Little Red Riding Hood was banned or challenged in some area because she was had wine in the basket she was taking to her grandmother. - Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson.
A powerful book that explores friendship, life, and death, this book is often banned due to what some feel is offensive language and scenes of witchcraft which some believe promotes disobeying authority as well as anti-religious sentiments. Oddly, the theme of death, which is a major element in the novel, is also used as a reason to ban this book.
Why this book is of concern truly baffles me. The book is very well written and the movie made from it touching. - James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl.
This book depicts a child who lives under the oppression of mean caretakers and relies on his creativity and an alternate world in order to survive. Those opposed to the book dislike the violence, language, and disobedience towards adults.
Regularly this book was checked out of our library & read to classes by teachers. - And Tango Makes Three by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson.
This children’s story tells of two male penguins at a zoo who care for an egg together. Despite the reality that male penguins bond together to care for their eggs in nature and that the two characters in the book are based on actual penguins from the Central Park Zoo, the idea of two males creating a family has forced many to ban the book due to reasons of homosexuality and anti-family issues.
- A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle. T
he bonds of family and friendship are at the heart of this novel, but it also highlights the battle of good and evil and brings in supernatural spirits, therefore making it a target for those worried about the religious implications they feel the novel makes.
There are three other titles in the series A Wind in the Door, Many Waters, and A Swiftly Tilting Planet all featuring the Murry family. I routinely recommended the reading of these as I did with the Chronicles of Narnia series by CS Lewis even though this series could be challenged as a breach of separation of church and state with its "Christian" theme. It is a story of a fantasy world with magic occurring in it... hmmm. - The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier.
Selling chocolates as a fundraiser at school not only sets off fictional turmoil in this book, but it also prompts parents to challenge the book. Reasons given include language, violence, resisting authority, and sexuality.
- The Giver by Lois Lowery.
The award-winning book that depicts a society driven to maintain an amazing amount of control over its members, including euthanasia and suicide. Some parents have reacted strongly to these themes in the book and have taken the book as an endorsement for killing.
Some of the more mature 5th grade students read this book but I did advise that they discuss it with me or their teacher because I was sure there would be questions to arise.
8 comments:
I read some of these books as a child in elementary school. And a teacher read James and the Giant Peach to us in class every day after lunch.
I think the uproar always comes when people try to disect everything with religion. Most of the time kids don't understand the multiple levels some of these books are written on. They are just concerned with the fantasy - the story itself. Not some higher level of thinking.
And I must have breezed through the 'protitute scene' in Catcher, because I don't even remember that part!
Cory, nice points you make. I'm glad to see you say "I must have breezed through" a particular part of a book because I think that must happen to me quite a lot or else I am immune to all the "dirt". Hmmm.
For the love of Pete! What next?
<><
I've read most of these and I think it is absurd that any of them should be banned!
In our school district, Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson and The Giver by Lois Lowery were required reading for my grandchildren.
Interesting posts but disturbing. Without ongoing monitoring of these self appointed moralists, these kinds of "movements" bode ill for the future of freedom in our society.
You've encouraged me to study more about this subject and I may write an essay on my other blog later this week. (BakersTake). I'm posting a link below about a California mother who was working to have Merriam Webster's 10th Edition dictionary removed from the school because her son looked up the definition of "oral sex". I wonder if she is equally upset about the lyrics of the songs her son is listening to and probably knows by heart?
Yes, let's ban dictionaries. Our children haven't been dumbed down quite enough. Most have a hard time writing their names legibly, if they can spell them at all. More on that later.
It's astonishing (or maybe not) that we use sex to sell everything from toothbrushes to cars, yet some folks are mortified that their kids are looking up dirty words and phrases in the dictionary. Maybe that mother should check the history file on her son's computer.
Having said all that, parents should be eternally grateful if their damn offspring read ANYTHING in this day and age of iPhones, iBooks, iPods, and iWads. Ban books?? Let's ban stupidity.
Whew..... Rick
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/jan/25/oral-sex-dictionary-ban-us-schools
Bridge to Terabithia is also a set book in Qld schools...
Happy days
No books have been banned in the USA for about a half a century. See "National Hogwash Week."
Thomas Sowell says Banned Books Week is “the kind of shameless propaganda that has become commonplace in false charges of ‘censorship’ or ‘book banning’ has apparently now been institutionalized with a week of its own.” He calls it “National Hogwash Week.”
Former ALA Councilor Jessamyn West said, "It also highlights the thing we know about Banned Books Week that we don't talk about much — the bulk of these books are challenged by parents for being age-inappropriate for children. While I think this is still a formidable thing for librarians to deal with, it's totally different from people trying to block a book from being sold at all."
Banned Books Week is Next Week
And then there's Judith Krug herself who created BBW:
"Marking 25 Years of Banned Books Week," by Judith Krug, Curriculum Review, 46:1, Sep. 2006. "On rare occasion, we have situations where a piece of material is not what it appears to be on the surface and the material is totally inappropriate for a school library. In that case, yes, it is appropriate to remove materials. If it doesn't fit your material selection policy, get it out of there."
Lastly, remember the ALA does not oppose book burning when doing so would interfere with its political interests. Go see what Judith Krug said about Cuban librarians: "American Library Association Shamed," by Nat Hentoff.
Post a Comment