Thursday, June 18, 2009

Marathon, Texas - My Favorite Little Texas Town

My absolute favorite little Texas town is Marathon, so on our last trip to west Texas we stopped for a little visit on the way home. Just forty miles south of Marathon is the Big Bend National Park.

There is camping available in the park and when I was younger I loved to tent camp, wake up to the sunrise, build a fire & make cowboy coffee. Lodging is also available at the Chisos Mountains Lodge, but now my favorite is to stay at the historic Gage Hotel in Marathon.
.
Double-click on the photos to see a larger image.
We stopped for coffee at a little internet cafe and I took some photos of the hotel's historic area & the newer section with a great pool & cabana. There are also photos of the town, the Gage Gardens, a county park and a few of the unusual abodes built overlooking the plain. I hope you enjoy this little journey with me.

Toy zebra looking into the pottery.

Side entrance to the newer area of the Gage Hotel.

Courtyard for a quiet evening.



Beautiful swimming pool and even though this in in the desert the temperatures are quite pleasant with the dry air.


Another courtyard for sitting and visiting.


Below is the entrance to the original and historic Gage Hotel.

When I was 50 years old I had a great celebration at the Gage. Friends & family met there over Thanksgiving weekend and had a blast!!! I had to make reservation one year in advance because the Gage is so well known and is always full during holidays.


Above is the lobby of the Gage. It is appointed with rustic furniture such as one would find in Santa Fe or Taos.

The Gage dog.

Stores and cafes are on the main street.

Above & below are seating areas at the Gage's restaurant.

A couple of little shops on the main street.






Windmill where cattle are roaming. Out here it takes lots of acreage for cattle to graze since there is so little grass. Love the old windmills used to pump water into a stock tank for the cattle.



This is a county park about 5 miles out of Marathon. It is a beautiful area with lots of pecan trees for shade and a beautiful fishing & swimming area of cool, clear water. I could have stayed here all afternoon watching children play and birds fly. A little dip in the spring would have been nice.



Above is a blue grossbeak. It is so colorful. I wanted him to get in the sun so that I could get the more brilliant colors, but he preferred the shade.


G-man & Gertie... watching birds & snooping around!

Leaving the park we saw a pretty little white faced calf on the same ranch were I photographed the windmill.

Now we are back in Marathon, TX. I wanted to show you some of the funky little houses that artists have built. These are indeed a work of art. I love stuff like this!



This tree has painted tops. I thought it quite unique and a piece of art in itself.


A few more interesting houses. Imaginative.


Our last stop on this whirlwind tour (and I'm sure you are needing a nice cool drink about now) are the Gage Gardens. These are across the railroad tracks from the Gage Hotel, but I think must be used for parties and perhaps weddings. These gardens are quite lovely and were totally unexpected. As long as I have been coming to this part of Texas I never knew these gardens were here. Enjoy your walk.









Thanks for coming on this little adventure with me to my favorite little Texas town. Just entering this post & looking at these photos make me want to pack up & head for a few days at the Gage!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

What kind of camera do you use? Those pictures are beautiful.

You could have a second career as a destination travel critic. Those are pictures I could see in a book!

Love the resort's dog. Every resort should have one - and I think they do.

Unknown said...

Some gorgeous, interesting houses & great shots overall. Loved the blue grosbeak, which I've never seen. Thanks for the tour.

Margaret Gosden said...

The Gage looks like an amazing Hotel. It looks almost too vast to walk anywhere beyond its boundaries? Thank you for the journey.

xxx said...

Great photos. Thank you for sharing them.
I would like to holiday at that hotel and live in one of the artists homes ;-)

best wishes
Ribbon

Val said...

really enjoyed this tour and photos - thanks. We went to big Bend once long ago - saw all the blue bonnets; really enjoyed the area. Didnt find Marathon but stayed somewhere called Easter Egg Valley (because of the name mainly); remember the bunches of chillies hanging around the doorways too. your photos are great!

karen said...

Great tour - how fascinating! Those houses are gorgeous... Still loving that hat of yours :)

Reya Mellicker said...

Really cool! I'm talking about all the pictures but of course specifically I'm thinking about how perfect you look in your cowboy hat.

Without a doubt, Marathon is my favorite little Western Texas town, too!

Val said...

award for you at mine!

Lorac said...

Hi Val! Thanks for coming and having a look at my blog. I have enjoyed yours immensely! Love that hotel.My gosh I would stay there in a heartbeat you make it look so good!

RedCurlGirl said...

that place looked amazing and somewhere that i could definitely relax...i'm looking for a relaxing destination to go on vacation to sometime soon...

Anonymous said...

REally pretty! You took me to a place I've never heard of--it looks quite special indeed! Especiall withthose magic words "temperatures are quite pleasant."

It's obviously a LONG way from NC!

Unknown said...

I swear I could feel the dry desert-type heat out there. What a wonderful virtual tour - thank you so much for sharing!

Bee said...

I've been to Marathon for Thanksgiving several times. We've never stayed at the Gage, but we always eat there.

I especially liked your pictures of the interesting/colorful houses. So much here -- you obviously have great enthusiasm for your subject!