It must have taken great strength of will to put ones self into a small capsule that would rocket to Earth's orbit and then be catapulted on to Moon's orbit. This weekend I visited the Lyndon Baines Johnson Library & Museum to see the Apollo 11 exhibit and view the 70+ minute movie on the launch, orbit, moon landing, and the travels about the moon surface by the astronauts.
One thing about the video that struck me is the quote by one of the astronauts, I paraphrase:
I don't know how this all works. I don't know how we get from Earth's surface to the Moon. I know it is a huge team effort that has precise mechanisms at work and I know that I will do my portion to make it successful. This mission will not fail because I did not do my part right!
The LBJ Library & Museum presents To the Moon: The American Space Program in the 1960s, a major exhibit celebrating man’s venture into space.
From the time he was Senate Majority Leader in the 1950s, Lyndon Johnson did more to facilitate the rapid progress of the space program than any other American leader. Johnson co-sponsored legislation for the creation of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) in 1958, and as Vice-President, was appointed Chairman of the National Space Council by President John F. Kennedy.
The primary focus of the exhibit will cover the period of “Sputnik” (late 1950s) through the first moon landing of Apollo 11 in 1969. Each step of the space programs Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, will be featured, as well as the “milestone” flights of astronauts Alan Shepard, John Glenn, and Ed White. To the Moon will feature eye-catching, visually attractive state-of-the-art elements to match the ambitious scope of the subject.
The LBJ Library’s space exhibit will coincide with a space exhibit featuring Skylab, the Shuttle Missions, and the International Space Station at the George H. W. Bush Library at Texas A&M University at College Station.
The exhibit runs until the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing, July 20, 2009. The exhibit also coincides with the 50th anniversary of NASA.
12 comments:
What a fitting post! Thanks. I had forgotten a few things; and you clearly put them in order again. Well done.
well lizzie i was living with my family in a two-bedroom apartment in toronto. we were all glued to a little black and white screen. my dad took photographs of the screen as each major moment played itself out. the drama was intense and even now when i think about it (as you have here) it leaves me gobsmacked for the incredible achievement that it was then and still is now. that they could achieve all that with the very limited technology they had is incredible and a testament to the extraordinary minds of all involved. a great post lizzie!! have a lovely day. steven
Steven! I love the term "gobsmaked"!! Thanks for visiting.
Lakviewer, I'm glad I could rekindle a few things for you.
I was in Spartanburg, SC, in a trailer park. My family took us on a summer vacation, and I was standing on the beach at Daytona when Apollo lifted off. Never will forget those very rich days.
Thanks for the great post, the great photos, the great memories.
I will back again...
EFH
Our family, like so many, was huddled around our little black and white TV. I remember being totally mesmerized. I was exactly three months shy of my 13th birthday.
It is incredible to realize now what a feat that was. We were so ambitious as a country once upon a time. Very cool.
I watched on a friend's TV. I believe I was stoned at the time. But even if I wasn't, the word "Wow" came out of my mouth many many times.
Forty years? How could that be true!
Wow, Lizzy, this is a great post, and your efforts were perfectly timed for today! I was also in college and remember it so vividly. Everyone was proud! really very emotional. There was a movie a few years ago called Apollo 13 in which the astronauts were unable to land on the moon due to a glitch. "Houston, we have a problem!" Tom Hanks was so perfect for an astronaut's role because he has the same kind of class as those men aboard Apollo 11. I remember the Soviet dog and sputnik. Do you remember the spherical turquoise sparkly bubble gum named after Sputnik? Lizzy, thank you.
Hi Lizzy
I was in high school, in the 6th form, 16 years old...I have enjoyed the reminiscences of the people from the Parks Dish in WA who captured the first images, sent them to Nasa and Nasa has since lost the originals.... Did you see the great movie called The Dish?
Happy days
great, thanks for sharing your version of events! you know mine now, from my blog! :)
Thanks all for sharing your remembrances with me. It is difficult to know this happened 40 years ago, but when I think about it so, so, so much has transpired since that perhaps it could have been 100 years. Such changes! Thank you for stopping by & sharing.
Delwyn, I have not seen the movie The Dish. I shall check on it. Thanks.
I was on a Naval base in Mare Island, California, also glued to the screen. I was in kindergarten and completely fasinated.
(But two days ago, I was in Statesboro, GA! Small world, uh?)
Wow Secret Agent... Statesboro! It is a small world. It has been about 5 years since I drove through the GSU campus.
Post a Comment