
The birds love to hang out at this water bowl in the afternoon.
They gather to drink and splash around as I watch them from the window in my little study.
I hear tapping noises and peek out to see them cracking sunflower seeds on the window ledge.
It is a daily afternoon event that I love to watch.
As I look out right now Miss Kitty is skulking about the area.
Who knows what is on her mind.
Perhaps she's looking for a cool place to rest or perhaps she's looking for a snack.
Hmm, will have to keep an eye on her.
Titmouse and chickadee at the watering hole.I also have 3 little Carolina wrens that hang out with these other birds.
The wrens don't act very "wren-like" because they love to go to the feeders.
Mostly wrens look for worms on the ground or the patio, hmmm.
Another is waiting its turn... don't want to get too crowded here.
A male cardinal rests between bites at the feeder.
He is not as brilliant in color as when he was trying to attract a mate.
An immature red-belly woodpecker is about to pounce on the feeder. Their parents taught them to go to our feeders.
A female cardinal is about to get into the water.
Gertie is sunning on the pine needles. She loves to lie in the sunshine.
Pine trees, clouds, and blue sky;
Oh my.
Bird feeders and natural area behind our house.
A few potted and a couple of bottlebrush plants are in the area, but mostly there are pines, berry bushes, a few oaks and yaupon growing naturally. We have many vines growing around the trees and it is a constant battle to keep them from taking over the trees. It's a pretty nice place to live, but we do need rain. The forest will not survive much more in the extreme heat and no rainfall. The meterologists are saying El Nino is due in the fall and on into winter & spring of 2010; that will mean rainfall. Oh yeah!
19 comments:
You have a lovely home, Lizzy, so peaceful.......
I am fascinated by Cardinals, I have never seen one in real life. It was nice to have a visit. Thanks.xx♥
What a wonderful bird sanctuary you have, Ms. Frizzfrock. We had chickadees and titmouse (or is it titmice? teehee)
lizzie such a beautiful space . . . i had no idea that was it looked like "down there"! the birds are so cool - how they know to show up and find water and food is magic - i loved the picture of the pine trees, clouds and blue skies. it could be ontario. lucky you!!! have a peaceful day. steven
Hi Lizzy
you do have a lovely setting and I hope you get some rain soon to damp it down.
I told Beloved that I want a bird feeder/platform for my birthday - thats all...I saw a lovely hand made one out of wood and twigs...I will put it outside my nest in the little garden area there so I can spy like you...
Happy days
Great looking birds visiting you. I wonder what the weather will be for us in the Northwest.
Great backyard! And great pictures of the wildlife. I love watching the birds at the feeder. It can be kind of like "Days of Our Lives" for birds.
I adore your birds and your home. Steven is right.It very well could be mistaken for Ontario!
Hello Lizzy, thanks for visiting my blog!
We have a similar setup, a birdbath right outside the window where we spend our day, so that we live with the birds.
If I were a bird, I would be right there alongside the rest of them. It's so lush around your house.
Gertie is beautiful! Jake used to love to lay in the sun as well. It feels good.
LOVE your new banner, too.
Lizzy you are going to laugh but at first I thought the birds were fake and you had put them there.
Wow, the pictures as usual are amazing. Great job.
Love Renee xoxo
what great place Lizzie! it's wonderful to be immersed in nature and Gertie looks like a real sweetie!
:-)
Thanks for all the nice comments.
Natalie, I hope to get a photo of a male cardinal when he is in his brilliant red plumage. You'll enjoy that!
Willow & Steven, it is so much fun to see the birds. This afternoon a little wren splashed around in a very small bowl near the big one. It was just the right size for it.
Delwyn, I hope you get your beautiful feeder. You will love watching the birds!
Lakeviewer, Beth, & Alaine, glad you enjoyed your visit. It is so interesting to watch the birds.
Lorac, interesting that you & Steven think this looks similar to Ontario. I've only been to a city in Ontario so am not familiar with the scenery outside it.
Renee, you crack me up with your comment. Imagine me getting out there & gluing little birds to the feeders. ROTFL!!!
Reya, oh yes, I'm sure Jake loved lying in the sun as much as Gertie does. I think she gets cold in the air conditioning & likes to go outside to sun!
Castle, yes Gertie is a sweetie. She's my girl, best friend, & great companion; plus she loves the G-man!
Both of you, Thanks for the nice comments about our surroundings. We really enjoy it here.
I love having places for the birds, and am getting ready to put up a birdbath, too. We've been getting lots of rain after a two-year drought - I hope it comes your way very soon.
Just thought I'd stop by your blog. Very nice! Thank you for visiting mine. I left a comment there for you in answer to your questions about the photo: "Time to Fly". Check it out!
I love that natural life in your house. It looks like a soap opera :-). Many thanks.
Greetings from London.
What gorgeous pictures! And I love your birds - beautiful! Hmm, hope Ms Kitty behaves herself near that birdbath...!
Dear Lizzy, thank you for your always so sweet comments on mine! Your place looks beautiful!!! I bet the birds tell all their friends about it. A wren is called Zaunkönig in German, which means fence-king, and aren`t they just that? They have no difficulties making announcements with their great voice.
We also need rain, but expect a big thunderstorm tonight.
Veri word is hyper, haha.
Post a Comment