Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Tuesday is for Turkeys

Wild turkeys came strolling through our yard the other day.
(click on link to learn about turkeys)
They gathered under the bird feeders looking for some grain.

The three consisted of a hen & her two chicks of the season.
The "chicks" were almost as large as she.
Evidently the tom turkey has nothing to do in raising of the chicks.
The hens gather together to raise the chicks,
but in this case there may be few other wild turkeys nearby
so there is no gathering of hens & chicks.

Even though they did not run or fly, they headed for the woods.



The last one is escaping into the woods behind our house.
Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

steven said...

hello lizzy, i've never seen wild turkeys although i'm told that there are plenty around this area as they are hunted. my son saw one last year and was surprised at how big it was. i've got to wonder about why the males of so many species are not involved in caring for the wee ones . . . .. have a lovely day. oh hey, on my club bike ride last night i rode with a guy visiting from austin, texas! steven

ellen abbott said...

So cool when wildlife wanders through.

The new header is very fine.

Cheryl Cato said...

Steven, I hope the visiting biker did us proud and was representative of the open attitudes and semi-laid back living for which Austin is known.

Ellen, yes it is fun when wildlife comes through. On our walk a couple of day ago two deer came out of the woods in front of us & Gertie felt the need to chase... that didn't last long, however, as she isn't as spry as she once was.

Have a great day up in Canada & in Houston! Lizzy

steven said...

lizzy he was a very fun, cool laid back man. he works with apple computers - all i've ever owned are apples so we hit it off instantly - and he travels all over north america on planes but with a collapsible racing bike in the luggage compartment everywhere he goes - seriously!!! his next stop after peterborough, ontario ( an evening low of 4 celsius and a daytime high of 21 celsius) was phoenix!!! oh man it'll be boiling hot there! really nice guy and i told him i'd mention his presence to my texan chums so there we go!!! steven

Cheryl Cato said...

Steven, that is so cool... traveling with a collapsible bicycle! What'll they think of next? Oh, I'm an apple person also; they are very user friendly! Have a wonderful evening, Lizzy

Unknown said...

Lizzy,
Having wild turkeys in your yard is wonderful. It is interesting to observe animals up close. Do you have a special plant or something they come to eat? Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Delwyn said...

Hi Lizzy

your turkey is a much larger cousin of my brush turkey. I remember you talking about them before when I posted the albino chick, But what big birds...are they pretty silly...they certainly illustrate the saying 'silly as a turkey' over here...

Happy days

Cheryl Cato said...

Linda, we are in the midst of a terrible drought and I think the turkeys are just searching for food. They were under the bird feeders eating seeds kicked out of it. Today we bought some cracked corn & put out in a couple of places & hopefully the turkeys will find it. The crows, squirrels & deer will probably be attracted to it also.
Lizzy

Cheryl Cato said...

Delwyn, you make me laugh... silly as a turkey... that's funny.
Lizzy

secret agent woman said...

I love seeing wild turkeys graxing. I've only had one in my yard that I've seen, but they are out in pasturs around here.

Unknown said...

Wow, that's amazing - I thought I had big birds visiting my garden with the guinea fowl, but your turkeys take the christmas cake! ;-)

Reya Mellicker said...

Hi Cheryl! (imagine me waving hello) Seems like a long time since I was here.

Wild turkeys are such graceful birds. When I look at Thanksgiving turkeys, it's hard to imagine how they even walk around with their pumped up breasts, kind of like swimsuit models or Playboy bunnies, their bodies are so distorted.

These dudes are beautiful!

Nice new banner, too.

Barry said...

I never seen turkey's in the wild either. They are so svelte and fit compared to store brought, they look ready for a marathon!

They must really over-stuff those poor farm raised birds.