Saturday, January 16, 2010

Hunting in the 'Hood

You may laugh at the idea of someone shooting a turkey or a deer in a neighborhood, but a couple of weeks ago a man shot a buck in front of his house. One of the neighbors heard the shot and went to find out what was happening. He was appalled at the sight of a man with a rifle hunting deer in a suburban neighborhood & called the sheriff's department. The sheriff's dept. did not respond, but did send out a game warden to investigate.

The man had a hunting license, shot a buck (not a doe which is fine), and did it during hunting season. The deer was not killed and the game warden had to locate & shoot the buck. He then gave it to the "hunter". Of course there has been a big uproar about this in the very large & wooded subdivision in which we live. It is illegal to discharge a weapon here & I believe the man was ticketed for doing so... but he was rewarded by receiving the deer. Weird!

Today as the G-man and I drove down near the river we came across a meadow and a rather large bob cat was sunning itself by a leafless tree. He looked at us as we gazed through binoculars at him. I had no camera so was unable to take a photograph; he was a bit too far away for me to capture him through my lens. He eventually walked back into the woods and as he did we saw that he had a noticeable limp. We wondered if he could have been shot, hit by a car, or injured in a fight with another animal (deer or perhaps another bob cat). This was the second time I have seen one in this area. They live in the dense undergrowth and roam along the Colorado River.

Ahhh, Texas. I feel so fortunate to experience seeing these animals in our area. I prefer taking shots with a camera to those with a gun. Oh yeah.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your kind of hunting is what I like. I must say it strikes me that firing hunting rifles in a sub-division is not cool, to say the least.

Cheryl Cato said...

Yes... "to say the least" is an understatement. It's also illegal and in addition to that, is against the rules of the subdivision. We're not even beginning to address how dangerous this is.

ellen abbott said...

I love that these animals are adapting. Seeing a bobcat. When I was young and would go spend a week or two with my aunt and uncle in the piney woods of east Texas, they would talk about seeing cougars and panthers. I doubt there are any panthers left though. Coyotes are living in one of the big parks in the city though.