Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Red-breasted Robins and Cedar Waxwings Came Visiting!

Today the beautiful Red-breasted Robins and Cedar Waxwings
came to our Yaupon tree to eat berries.
Is this an indication that spring is near?


The Robin is the One
Emily Dickenson



The Robin is the One
That interrupt the Morn
With hurried -- few -- express Reports
When March is scarcely on --


The Robin is the One
That overflow the Noon
With her cherubic quantity --
An April but begun --


The Robin is the One
That speechless from her Nest
Submit that Home -- and Certainty
And Sanctity, are best

**********************************************

Waxwings
Robert Francis


Four Tao philosophers as cedar waxwings
chat on a February berry bush
in sun, and I am one.

Such merriment and such sobriety--
the small wild fruit on the tall stalk--
was this not always my true style?



Above an elegance of snow, beneath
a silk-blue sky a brotherhood of four
birds. Can you mistake us?

To sun, to feast, and to converse
and all together--for this I have abandoned
all my other lives.






7 comments:

steven said...

lizzy - the photographs are excellent and the words carry the pictures along and really open them out. i love emily's writing. i taught a girl with the same name once. she wasn't a very talented poet but i suggested to her that perhaps her namesake wasn't so good a writer when she was eleven! steven

Unknown said...

Beautiful photos, & I love both poems!

Cheryl Cato said...

steven... I think that was the perfect conversation to have with an eleven year old... such a good teacher!

Cheryl Cato said...

Thanks John.

Angela said...

Oh what uplifting pictures and words, Cheryl! I love robins! None of them in sight here yet, though. It has started to snow again! Bleah!

My Castle in Spain said...

Hi Lizzy,
you make me sigh for spring !
thank you so much for this little prezzie...so nice of you !

Delwyn said...

Hi Lizzy

I used to think that bird watching was for old geezers with nothing else to do and now I am one of them...and it is not...

Lovely birds thank you Lizzy


To sun, to feast, and to converse
and all together--for this I have abandoned all my other lives.

Happy days