
Color and light are what I think of when I take photos in New Mexico. The brilliant blue sky, the intense color and contrasts of the buildings, the lovely shadows at day's end.

Using the tools on iPhoto or PhotoShop helps me manipulate and enhance color. It's a lot easier than the days of using a dark room. Somehow it feels like cheating, but technology has a way of making a photographer out of many of us.

Oh yes, what a pleasant and rewarding ___, what? I hate to use the term hobby, but it certainly isn't an occupation for me. Maybe it is therapy. Whatever it is it stimulates me, makes me look more carefully at my surroundings, and is very rewarding.

Entrance to a home in the historic Mesilla area
of Las Cruces, New Mexico

Some of these photos I plan to print and perhaps hang somewhere in our house. I'll probably switch out some of the other photos I have hanging. Funny, most people put up lots of family photos, but I tend to hang photos of interesting places, birds, or objects I have photographed.
Building in Old Town Tuscon, Arizona
Perhaps one day I'll try portrait photography. It will be challenging to situate a subject in an interesting setting and not just take a snapshot of a person. Another day I shall post the few shots of people that could be considered "portraits", but for now let's look at the southwest U. S.
Flowers near the Square in Taos
Above & below are photos of the patio of
Orlando's New Mexican Cafe in Taos. Very cheery & excellent food.
Salman Ranch Store Window, Las Cuevas, New Mexico
Along the street in Taos
Back door & seating area at a gallery in Taos
15 comments:
I love the bright colors. Great photos.
And that massive prickly pear!
Your photos are lovely and bright. My son-in-law is just starting a portait/photography business.
Wow, this is a great collection of photos from the southwest. The color saturation is beautiful and I don't mind how you arrived at it. Love those warm colors of the walls, and oh the blue shutters. Lovely.
Oh my, oh my. Been to everyone of those places and you capture them beautifully.
Awhile back there used to be - believe it or not - this wonderful little French restaurant in the Old Town of LasCruces. Do you know if it's still there?
Leslie, I don't know if the French restaurant is still there... I have not seen it. We have eaten at La Posta the old Mexican food restaurant and we ate at a relatively new wine bar & cafe just driving into La Mesilla which was delicious. That was a year or so ago & it may not be there anymore, but it seemed quite popular. Can't remember the name.
Hi Lizzy-tnlib turned me on to you and I see you like taking pictures as much as I do. I like what you do here and have linked to you at my picture place.
It's so much fun!
HI Lizzy
there's great warmth and colour in your photos..and I think that at this time in life whatever creative activities we have that bring us happiness and fun should be pursued...
Happy days
Those reds, blues and oranges are so rich and beautiful.
Nice pix. I always think of the Southwest as just desert and barren land, but your pictures remind me that that is certainly not the case.
I agree with you about photography; it does help you see the world in a different way. If not, it at least makes you notice what is around you.
I think everyone should take at least one photography class or even a short intro to photography. I did in college and I continually see see differently that others overlook when taking pictures.
Ellen, Wanda & Kerry...
I so appreciate that you like the color & light in my photographs. When thinks are so bright & pretty it is almost impossible to take a bad photo. My ex-husband who is a photographer/sculptor says I have a good eye for shots... luck of the draw. :)
Fly, It's so nice of you to visit & make a link to my blog. I appreciate your kind words.
Delwyn & HKatz, thanks for your kind words. Delwyn I agree that we should pursue those creative activities... great advice coming from one so creative as you.
Madtexter... When I was in college & after I had many opportunities to photograph & process my own black & white film. I remember to take a bath I had to squeeze into our claw-footed bathtub around the enlarger which was sitting on a piece of plywood at the end of the tub!
Wanted you to know Lizzy that on my previous comment "my picture place" is a link unable to be seen at your place because of the color scheme.
Fly, I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the color scheme. I was able to go to your picture place from the link in your comment & then come back to mine from the link on your blog. If there is something else I am missing please let me know.
Post a Comment