Once again I've been on the road to a tiny Texas town! The G-man played in another golf tournament so I took my camera along to see what I could bring back home to share. Today & perhaps tomorrow we shall go on a trip through the
little historic town of Comfort, TX (click on the link to read its history) with a population of 5,600 or thereabouts.
This is my second trip to Comfort as Gerald & I stayed here for a couple of days last summer. It was cooler then with a lovely breeze blowing through the live oak, pecan and cypress trees that are in the lower area along the Guadalupe River. One night we kept our windows open and did not have to use the air conditioner, but not the case this trip as the temperature is hovering around the 100 degree mark.
Gertie had to remain home today because of the high temperatures. It is just too dangerous for her to be out in this hot weather.
First we are going on a little walk around town, visit some shops and peek into other establishments. Later I will show the house where we stayed last year and the river bottom that is so cool & refreshing. There are two stores where we will spend a bit of time. One is Rosebud Antiques where there Blue Bell Ice Cream is sold & a cute little porch on which to eat it and watch the comings & goings of the town. The other shop is The Tinsmith's Wife which is a beautifully redone building that houses a gorgeous yarn shop.
As always double click on the photos to enlarge them if you'd like... Come along now, step lively, and I shall try not to make you too tired or too hot!

An angel in the garden.

Blackbird Antiques... a cute shop with interesting items on the porch.


Surely this isn't still in use... the Comfort Theatre... but one never knows, the inside could be very different from the outside.

The Hen House Cafe.
This hen is made of bottle caps, hmmm...

Looking outward through the window at all the dusk stirred up by a passing car! Dry & dusty!

I had already eaten, but my friend Martha ordered a salad and a marguerita pasta. Marguerita pasta we thought... It arrived in this cactus stemmed marguerita glass. Pure Texas. Swirl pasta, chicken, black beans, corn, and other goodies. Martha said it was very tasty and refreshing, especially on a hot summer day.



Reflection in the antique store window.

Rosebud's Antiques

Let's get a cup of Blue Bell Ice Cream (pistacio almond flavor) & eat it on this cute porch! That should help cool us on this hot afternoon.

Beaded animals for sale. I took a few more photos, but they turned out blurry so I can't show you the ones of dogs. Pity... they were so cute!

See Blue Bell Ice Cream is sold at Redbud's Antiques!!! Delicious!!!

An old seed bin very similiar to the one in my grandfather's store. Wow, this brings back memories.

Bins of spindles for sale.

A library card catalog on display. Do you remember those in libraries many years ago? Now all information is on conputers... progress, but the wood is so lovely on this one.

Oh yes, a vintage T-bird!
(Ford's thunderbird was so popular when I was in high school!)

Three little...

photos of...

the downtown sidewalk.

Interesting boxes... Probably now used for storage or just decorative, but I believe I read they are bread boards orginally.

Antiques on the corner.

Getting ready for the 4th of July. A very patroitic town.
Comfort was established in 1854 by by predominantly "Freethinker" German immigrants moving further west from New Braunfels. They rested here and were so taken with the place, that they didn't see any need to travel further. (See link for history.)


Two more little shops decked out for the 4th of July celebration next weekend.

Antique store on the corner.
There are many such stores in this area of Texas. Comfort, Boerne, and, perhaps most famously, Fredericksburg have many antique stores which have mostly Texas antiques.

Isn't this residence inviting with the lovely yard and shaded porch?

This beautiful stone building was the Comfort Bank and is now a museum.

The County Library is located on the corner of the main street. Below you can peek inside with me to see how it is laid out. This is the section for periodicals with a couch to relax & read the papers or magazines. To the right are books for adults & toward the back is the children's section. A bank of computers are in the center and are used frequently by the patrons. Last year when I visited I used a computer to check my email because I couldn't find a location for wireless internet access for my laptop.

Above and below are peeks into the library.


Oh, yes. An old-fashioned barber shop on the main street in town. I had to peek inside to see what was there. The owner is closed (see sign below) for a few days but promises to return on Tuesday.

Take a peek inside with me. No one is here & we can see the interior of an old-fashioned barber shop. Fun, isn't it?

Above is the barber chair(s) and below is for sitting and visiting or waiting. I'll bet lots of problems are solved in these chairs!


See, the barber shop is closed. Read the notice/nodis on the door. (Click photos to enlarge.)

Residence on High Street (the main street in town).

The place in Comfort to meet, visit, and have a glass of beer or wine. The patroitic bunting is up for the 4th of July festivities.

Preparing & decorating for the 4th of July celebration.

Antique store next to the Tinsmith's Wife shop.

A new shop in town since my last visit. I found out that it opened in October, 2008.

Inviting front porch to The Tinsmith's Wife.

The first display of skeins of yarn caught my eye. The owner has a knack for display.

Yarns abound in this prettiest of shops.

One sacked out kitten. Later he awoke and stopped by for a little visit & a pet from me.

Another wall of beautiful yarn!

Comfy Kitty in Comfort! Or perhaps I should say crashed kitty...

Yet another colorful display. Oh yes, very inviting!

A lovely view from the window.

Wendy at work in her shop.

Cindy, a patron from Boerne, TX, is working on a project. Wendy had a workshop earlier in the day and had people from several surrounding towns participating. This is a lovely shop.

A lovely tote bag knitted for Wendy by her father. He is very talented.

Another gift for Wendy from her father, an alligator purse.

A cozy nook to do your needlework.

A last peek in the window at the Tinsmith's Wife.

Saying adieu to the tinsmith's wife.

Busy little town.

The sun is peeking through the tall live oak trees near the river at the Haven Inn.

Sit under the tall cypress trees and dangle your feet in the cool waters of the Guadalupe River.

Enjoy late afternoon fishing on the Guadalupe River.

Gazebo in the Garden at Haven River Inn

Haven River Inn
19 comments:
What a charming place. I would never leave the antique places. Maybe, for ice-cream.
After many requests, one of the NC grocery chains started carrying Blue Bell Ice Cream. I think the creamery is keeping the best flavors in Texas though!
Oh, that yarn store...!
Thank you for taking us for a walk through Comfort. What a lovely little town. So inviting! Even the name makes one feel at home! Love the sign at the barbers. LOL
Rosaria, if you go in this particular antique store (Rosebud's Antiques) you don't have to leave to get ice cream... the ice cream parlor is built right into it and a small, double scoop costs only $1.00!
Marylee, so glad you are able to get Blue Bell... it really is good. As they say in Brennan, TX (where Blue Bell is made) "we eat what we can and we sell the rest".
Lorac, I'm happy you enjoyed our little walk. Hope you weren't too tired & hot afterwards.
Cute town. I like the bottlecap chicken.
What a wonderful photo essay-- some favorites: the Comfort Theater, the bottlecap chicken, the sun thru the live oaks & the cypresses-- but they were all interesting. Thanks!
Nice tour of yet another cool little Texas town. Love the chickens eating hamburgers. That's quite a concept, eh?
One thing I know for sure - whoever named these towns was really clever! Marathon and Comfort - very cool!
Also - which jane austin character am I? I'm the maid or the cook. I was a servent during that time period so I always relate to them. Probably explains why I'm not a fan of Jane Austin, even though I know she's great. She got to write all those great novels while I was hanging up her clothes and making her breakfast.
Lovely photos and commentary. I am looking forward to the rest.
Greetings from London.
Lizzy I absolutely love when you do these posts, I get to feel like I am there too.
How wonderful to just spend a day in another little place different from the last.
The bag made for Wendy by her father is stunning.
Love you.
Renee xoxo
Some beautiful pictures here, thanks for posting. You are probably right about the Barber's shop - a good place for problem solving and that chair looks perfect.
CJ xx
What a gorgeous and quaint spot! I love the barber and the yarn shop - gorgeous colours!
I've never been to Texas but have a fascination with the state. This looks like a lovely little town.
A visual feast of a tour! thanks for that.. lovely :)
Wow Lizzy...thank-you for taking the time and trouble to present these beautiful photos and details of your adventure.What a great place with all those antique shops. I enjoyed this so much.
Wow! You really do get to see some of the best of traditional Americana. Looks like you're having a ball!
I liked the pix of the two stuffed chickens eating the hamburgers. It reminded me of the Chik-fil-et restaurant adds that always say, "Eat mor Chikin". Only this time it's the cow that gets eaten.
Here's a link to one of their ads if you don't know what I'm refering to:
http://adsoftheworld.com/files/images/ChickFila01Lg.preview.jpg
Lizzy you say ramble; I say ponder and how I love when you do.
I love your comment.
Love Renee xoox
Hi Lizzy
so many antique shops - do they rely on the passing tourist trade?
I think the iceceam store is where I'd be on a hot day...
thanks for the introduction to Comfort - is it where southern comfort comes from?
Happy days
Delwyn, I think the liqueur Southern Comfort is bottled in Louisville, Kentucky. There isn't much going on in Comfort, TX, but it is a favorite tourist spot. Boerne, Fredericksburg, Comfort, & Kerrville are all within 20 miles of the other and this area is well known for its antiques, a tiny bit cooler weather than where I live. I didn't show it but these towns plus Bandera & Johnson City (childhood home of Lyndon B. Johnson) are all in the Texas Hill Country. Hills for hiking, cool streams for tubing, and in the autumn a good stop for hunting.
It looks like a cute little town. And now I want some Blue Bell ice cream....
Post a Comment