Wednesday, June 3, 2009

"Could This Be the Final Century of Our Civilization?"

Last night ABC News showed Earth 2100, a 2-hour presentation, with Bob Woodruff, discussing the potential scientific scenarios of the future of Earth. It was bone chilling. All these things I know/knew are possibilities, but when it is presented in the format shown last evening it brings this even closer to reality.

Most of the program showed the direst possibilities. It showed the extinction of animals and birds we love. It showed the devastation of forested areas around the world. It showed the dissipation of water. It showed the collapse of cities, governments, and medical fields.

All of this was shown through the eyes of "Lucy", a child born on June 2, 2009, who lived through this dissolution of life as we know it. If this isn't an eye-opener to individuals around the world I don't know what is.

This information can be accessed by clicking on this link: Earth 2100 there you can read the articles and view the video.

I highly recommend that anyone reading my blog take the time to visit the above mentioned site. This will need to be a global effort. We already see the effects of water shortage & droughts in various parts of the world. Australia has suffered for at least a decade, Bangladesh and parts of Africa are suffering from drought & loss of ability to raise their own food, Lake Mead in the U. S. is an example of years of too little rainfall & snow runoff to support this giant reservoir. In my part of central Texas and my own back yard we have 80 foot pine trees dying from lack of rainfall. I fear the Dust Bowl era of the 1930s will be nothing in comparison to what is to come.

The last part of the program leaves us with an inspiring look into the future. It shows good and important choices being made to increase our chances for survival and for the survival of our planet. It is truly a look into better ideas for the future and innovative ways to rectify the mistakes we have made and are continuing to make as a global society. It will be up to the U. S. & European countries to share the knowledge we have with emerging nations so as to benefit the entire planet.

Visit: Earth 2100 a slightly different link and perhaps more informative from the one above.

12 comments:

Siobhán said...

Thank-you so much for this link Cheryl. A subject very close to my heart.

Rosaria Williams said...

It was crammed with science-fiction/fantasy shots, a bit too cinematically creative for me, too fictional. The concepts are sound; the illustrations too contrived for my taste.

angela recada said...

Thanks for this information and the links, Lizzy. These are serious topics which are near and dear to me, and I wasn't able to watch the program last night.

ellen abbott said...

I didn't see it but I remember feeling that way when I read The Sheep Look Up back in my 20s. Human beings are highly destructive animals.

Cheryl Cato said...

Siobhan & Angela, I hope you get a chance to visit the link.

Rosaria, yes this did have those scifi/fiction type shots. It was cartoon-ish is design, but the message was powerful. It reminded me of a presentation on the Ed Sullivan show when I was about 12 years old. Sullivan prefaced the airing of the show by suggesting small children leave the room. I watched it & it terrified me. It showed this silent object going through the sky & I suppose detonating; then all the animals & people were shown changing into skeletons. It was a warning about nuclear war & it scared the hell out of me!

Ellen, I'm not familiar with "The Sheep Look Up". I'll have to research it online.

Val said...

thanks for this Lizzy - there is more andmore of this info around and if we all do our bit we may just be able to keep it all rolling;but money, mining, oil etc etc all seem to be the biggest stumbling blocks and we need them too....or do we?
I read somewhere that people want to save the world but no-one is prepared to give anything up..

My Castle in Spain said...

Thanks for this post Lizzy - the shortage of water is such a crucial problem - here in my corner of the world, scenarios are not looking good either. My fear is that water has now become a marketable commodity. I do feel helpless about it.

on a lighter note, in answer to your question, yes time frames are still the same you experienced. Lunch at 3, dinner at 9, even 10 sometimes in sumer !

karen said...

thanks! It really is a frightening thought, and it leaves me feeling really helpless. I hate what we are doing to this beautiful planet..

Anonymous said...

Amen, and Amen. Often times we forget that the Earth is not our planet, we belong to it.

Bee said...

We really should have all of our attention focused on this subject. I've noticed that the economic crisis (and currently, the MP's expenses scandal) have overshadowed the environment in the news.

I've been hearing rumbles for a while about how water is going to be the next pricey commodity.

Anonymous said...

As one who's lived in the high desert of north-eastern New Mexico, I can vouch for the lack of rain. Even on the east coast, we are getting more drought-like with every passing year. Many do not realise that water is a finite resource. Like all of them, it cannot be added to. Very eye-opening post.

Seeker said...

Oh dear this sounds really interesting and important!!!
Thank you for sharing and calling attention, it's so important that people shout about this issue.

Luv

xoxo