Sunday, July 4, 2010

Monticello - Home of Thomas Jefferson

Happy Birthday
United States of America

Flag representing the 13 Colonies


What better way to say I am thankful
for living in a free country

North Entrance to Monticello

than to visit the home of the author and signer
of the Declaration of Independence,
Thomas Jefferson.



Monticello is located just a few miles outside the
town of Charlottesville, Virginia


South Entrance and Pavilion

Welcome to Monticello.


Jefferson was a wonderful architect
and designed this beautiful home.



Even though Jefferson was a writer, an architect,
an inventor, an educator
and the 3rd President of the United States
when asked his occupation
he always referred to himself as a farmer.


Kitchen located on the lower level


Stroll through the garden



Monticello overlooks the town of Charlottesville, Virginia
and the University of Virginia which Jefferson founded.
A link to Thomas Jefferson's Monticello
is found here.

Today at Monticello:
Fourth of July Celebration and Naturalization Ceremony
are being held.


8 comments:

R. Burnett Baker said...

An absolutely beautiful blog title photo, Lizzy! I'm assuming you took that photo. I've never Jefferson's home, but now really want to go there.

Hope you had a wonderful holiday!

Rick

Anonymous said...

Oh, if the walls of Monticello could talk...

Again, beautiful pix.

Hubz and I are taking a road trip to Charleston in a couple weeks. Stay tuned for my amateur pix.

Cheryl Cato said...

Thank you Rick. It was a really great trip. The hills of West Virginia & Virginia were spectacular... and yes, the banner photo is mine taken at the Presidential Museum at The Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs, WVA

Cheryl Cato said...

Corey, can't wait to see your photos of Charleston. If you get to any of the plantations & see the gardens there I hope you take pics. We did not visit the formal garden at Magnolia Plantation. Have a great trip!

HKatz said...

Excellent photos!

What better way to say I am thankful for living in a free country than to visit the home of the author and signer of the Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson.

That's one great way of celebrating the day. I spent the 4th in Philadelphia - visited Independence Hall and other historic sites, and it was very moving to be there at the places where history unfolded and our country was founded. Like with Monticello, I feel like there's a heightened awareness and feel for the history and the greatness of historical events on the 4th when you go to these sites.

Leslie Parsley said...

All beautiful - especially the top one. I can almost smell the Boxwood.

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I love not far from Monticello- it's a great place.
<><

Angela said...

Thomas Jefferson was a man of many talents, just look at that house! Great photos, thanks Cheryl! (the veri word is Sally (hmmm)