1832 Farmer's Market
The market is so named because Bastrop was platted on
June 8, 1832 and officially named Bastrop.
The town was designed along conventional Mexican lines,
with a square in the center and blocks set aside for public buildings.
Entrance to Farmers' Market
It's enclosed & is good for rain or shine!
The market is so named because Bastrop was platted on
June 8, 1832 and officially named Bastrop.
The town was designed along conventional Mexican lines,
with a square in the center and blocks set aside for public buildings.
It's enclosed & is good for rain or shine!
handcrafted soaps, skin balms & candles
it smells wonderful.
Delores Svoboda Leeper from Smithville
also sells peaches & preserves,
gourds & lavender plants, and more.
Sorry John, there is no musicians performing.
Would you like to come down from Idaho?
This fellow has wonderful purple peppers, cantaloupe, squash, peaches, etc.
We bought a lot from him.
Under glass are great muffins, yum.
All from the vendor above.
Homegrown Catering
Anthony Crossley, chef, from Smithville, TX
Smithville is located about 13 miles east of Bastrop.
15 comments:
What a great market. I don't know if the one here in Wharton is going to survive. The couple that made it happen has withdrawn and is moving and no one has wanted to step in and take it over. My sister did finally get some new people to take over the different positions (market master, secretary, treasurer, etc) but none of them seem to be doing anything and keep asking her what , when and how. She can't take it on because she has two jobs and a husband in poor health. I guess we'll see if the fall market materializes.
Looks wonderful. Nashville has a darn good farmer's market all during the growing season, but due to the flood it's been closed so far this summer. Should open in August.
Another is being held on Tuesdays and I'm thrilled. I can walk to it and finally have some fresh veggies that have some flavor. What I wouldn't do for some watermelon with seeds.
Hey Ellen, come on over to ours either on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning! We had 2 markets going at one time because some in the original had a falling out with the other & 1832 was formed. It's the only one surviving now.
Lesley, hope your new market is to you liking. Fun to be able to walk to it. Show us your vegetables when you get them.
Love the new header, and to feel of this special farmers' market, old-fashioned and nostalgic. Stay cool!
Thanks Rosaria, actually it has been quite cool here for this time of year. Last year on Friday we were at 105 and this past Friday it was 85, a huge difference. This week threatens to be hotter (in the 90s) but the air will be drier.
I LOVE farmers market. yours is nice in a building, ours are all on the street, but still rain or shine too! we are very lucky since ours are year around also.
thank you for sharing, it all looks lovely!
Did you check out the rest of Bastrop? It's a pretty down with some beautiful houses. The guy wearing the print shirt and basbeall cap is classic Central Texas!
Hi K... did you know I live in Bastrop? Here is a link to last 4th of July post about historic Bastrop. http://frizzfrock.blogspot.com/2009/07/historic-residential-area-of-bastrop.html
I take it you have visited or lived near Bastrop at one time. The historic area is small but pretty & the town is located on the Colorado River 30 miles east of Austin.
One of my friends showed up in his Hawaiian shirt at the gym the other day. He's a real hippie-type guy & professor-type. It is rather typical.
I didn't realize that you lived in Bastrop! We lived in (South) Austin from 1981-87, near Barton Springs. The man who owned the company I worked for had a huge old house in Bastrop, and often held company events there.
I love the markets. I'll take one of those watermelons please!
<><
Oh, yummy - I love the summer months with all the fresh fruits and veggies. This looks like a great market, with all those crafts and baked goods to go with fresh produce.
Maybe I'll check out some of those markets next weekend. I'll be in Austin and surrounding area for a couple of days!
Rick
Rick, check out the web site at http://frizzfrock.blogspot.com/2009/07/historic-residential-area-of-bastrop.html
One of the fun markets is downtown Austin at Republic Square located at 4th & Guadalupe from 9 - 1. Look for my friends at Tecolote Farms (Katy or David) or at Sunset Valley. But check out the web site it's very attractive. And you are always welcome to the 1832 Farmers Market in Bastrop on Chestnut Street west of Hwy 95.
Welcome back to Texas!
I want one of those here... =)
Post a Comment