Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Theme Thursday = Fire



Fire. It's odd that I have such feeling for fire. I love the way the flames flicker in the fireplace on a cold evening and enjoy the smell of the wood burning and the warmth of its glow. I enjoy a campfire, roasting marshmallows & hot dogs; of sitting around the fire keeping warm and telling stories until the last bit of warmth dies away.

On the other hand fire terrifies me. When I was about 10 years old I was with my parents on a warm summer Thursday evening. My family owned a grocery store and we decided to go to the store to get some milk & dessert. As we turned the corner I began screaming. The business next door to our store was on fire. This was around 1956 and our little town had no fire department.

Calls went out to neighboring towns and tanker fire trucks came to help put out the fire. The fire was eventually gotten under control, but not before it burned six businesses almost to the ground. The next day my family was back in business in a store across the street from the original one. The suppliers were there the next day helping to set up a new store. We recovered and thrived.

In later years when my parents talked about me being the first to see the fire and scream they remember what my daddy said, "Honey, have you got your foot caught in the door again?" Evidently, if Mother sat beside my father & I sat beside the door I had a propensity to get my foot wedged between the seat & the car door. Isn't it strange the things that are remembered even in a crisis?

The small store on the corner where the fire began had been purposely set by the owner. I don't think he was prosecuted, but he never left his home again. He became a recluse, probably ostracized by the community. Thankfully his wife & daughter seemed to have overcome the situation and went on with their lives.

As a result of this incident a volunteer fire department was formed in our town. This group of men went on to help in many difficult situations. My brother was one of the founding members and was volunteer fire chief for a time.

So, as you can see fire can be comfortable and contribute to warm, happy memories. It can also be terrifying. Through the years there have been other incidents where fires have gotten out of hand in or near where I live(d). When I hear sirens or smell smoke the fear I felt as a child returns. Under normal conditions I think of happy fireplace or campfire memories rather than memories of the destructive capabilities of fire.

Visit Theme Thursday for other stories on the subject.

15 comments:

Tom said...

Good story, nice how your parents could up and move into a new location so quickly!

Kris McCracken said...

Sensible thoughts.

Leah said...

Yes, when I was planning this post, I thought of two things: the coziness of evenings by our fire, and the terror of the night our school caught fire. It's amazing, the two extremes, isn't it.

A Cuban In London said...

I think that all the elements awaken the same extreme feelings and emotions in us. Admiration mixed with primal fear. I love the way the sea can become so nauseatingly wild but would not like to get caught up in it. Same with fire. I love the power of the flames but keep reminding myself to step away from them. Lovely post. Many thanks.

Greetings from London.

California Girl said...

Agreed. Fire in the fireplace or wood stove is such a comfort.

Tess Kincaid said...

Enjoyed your take on fire!

Brian Miller said...

nice story. thanks for sharing. i can imagine the experience as a child burning into your thought process. life giving, life taking, both are life changing.

Reyjr said...

lol. :D memories!

tony said...

You Post Set Me Thinking.It's Not So Much Fire It's self we feel........but the Consequences (good+Bad)Of It..........

Ronda Laveen said...

Isn't it interesting how memories are stored in scents, views and sounds. Brings them up as if they were happening yesterday. Also interesting, how the arsonists life played out.

Wings1295 said...

Wow - Great story! Such a personal take on the theme. And some good did come of that fire, with the formation of the volunteer department. Very nice.

Michael Rawluk said...

The fire did not just destroy. It also created the fire department.

Megan said...

Now that's a memory that's not ever going away, I bet.

Wow.

Sandra Leigh said...

I'm impressed by how quickly your family regrouped after the store burned down. It's no wonder you have mixed feelings about fire.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Lizzy, you are right. There are so many things that happen to us in our childhood that shape the way we become as adults.

Both my parents were big church-goers. I guess so, since my father was a Baptist minister. I'm not so much for organized religion now, but I did take away the kindess and humility that religion teaches you.

Probably why I enjoy helping others, and always trying to make others laugh.

Sometimes, my cynicism may seem 'smart-ass' to others, but for me, it's all about getting them to laugh.

My grandmother owned a store in a small town in Cedar Bluff, VA back in the day. My mother told me of a story of a customer who came into the store with such a southern drawl. He asked my grandmother: "I wanna bolbeach." As the story goes, my grandmother asked him repeatedly what did he say? So, after about 5 times of him repeating, "I wanna bolbeach". She finally said, (and not wanting to offend him) politely, she said "Well, whatever it is you want, go ahead and get it."

He wanted a bottle of bleach! Ha!