
In the spirit of Theme Thursday, I decided to think of ten fiction books & movies that I enjoyed. From my list you will surmise that I've selected books with varying meaning. Most are purely escapism, but some like To Kill A Mockingbird had great social value and others have great literary value.
Ten favorite books I've read:
- To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
- The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
- True Women by Janice Woods Windle
- The Border Trilogy by Cormac McCarthy (All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing, Cities of the Plains)
- Even Cowgirls Get the Blues by Tom Robbins
- Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil by John Berendt
- The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
- Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
- A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
- Lonesome Dove
- Out of Africa
- The Matrix
- Gone With the Wind
- The Big Chill
- Casablanca
- Apocalypse Now
- The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
- To Kill A Mockingbird
- Dances with Wolves
21 comments:
I've read two of the books(1&3) and I have seen three of the movies(8,9,10).
only read 4
only seen 9
i have some work to do.
thats for the post and suggestions.
Great lists! One of my favorite movies is "Casablanca", too! :)
Enjoyed your top tens! And I had to repost Stand By Me on my sidebar, since it's permanently in my head for the rest of the week! :^)
Lizzy,
I've read 3 of your favourite books. Owen Meany is super. You should read Canadian author Robertson Davies to see where Irving got his inspiration. Midnight in the Garden etc. superlative and incomparable to the crappy movie. And To Kill a Mockingbird - my mum read that when she was preggers with me. Great, great book.
The Big Chill's on my top 10 list for film too.
Well I must say the list is impressive...and I have only read Gone with the Wind.
One day maybe I will get back to being able to read like the dickens and then maybe I will even read a little Dickens!
Lots of favorites here. I love the line from Casablanca, "We'll always have Paris!" We ought to share famous phrases among our cicles of friends.
Rosaria, I think that idea, "sharing famous phrases" would be terrific. I have several from these movies and/or books!
Lizzy
I've read many of your favorite books. Not many people comment on "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues" but I've read and re-read that one.
It's Gone with the Wind for me everytime, Lizzyxx
Top ten lists are great...you have quite the eclectic taste in movies.
Hello Lizzy
A prayer for Owen Meany is right up there towards the top of my list too.
And I often play the Big Chill soundtrack, its so evocative of that period in time.
Happy Days
I have read 3 of the books and have seen all 10 movies. These were great lists. I think I need to read some of these books sometime. Gonna have to find a good used bookstore, but I guess I gotta read the books still sitting here waiting to be read. Sigh.
God bless.
Haven't read all those, although they are all on the list. Oh, that ever-growing list.
Seen all the films. Excellent choices, all!
'The Big Chill', 'Casablanca' and 'Apocalypse Now' are the movies I have to watch at least once a year to feel fulfilled. Many thanks.
Greetings from London.
I loved the book.. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, it inspired me to go to Savannah for my 50th birthday, I wasn't disapointed it is a wonderful place.
xx
Byrd, I grew up about 70 miles from Savannah & it has always been one of my favorite places. Many aunts & uncles lived there so it was always fun to visit them & the cousins. One aunt had a beach house at Tybee Island & friends & I would take the bus down for a few days to stay with her & my parents would pick us up later in the week. Fun times!!!
Charleston is a great town too. Full of history & very similar to Savannah.
Lizzy
Ronda, you are correct about not hearing too much about "Even Cowgirls...", but it was such a fun read. I loved the name Bonanza Jellybean & decided I needed an alias so I came up with Lizzy Frizzfrock. I think it ranks pretty high in the character names that Robbins uses. I went to a Robbins book signing once and he signed my book "To Lizzy Frizzfrock..." Cool, huh?
This looked like so much fun.
The kitchen is going to be amazing.
Cheryl did you look at my post entitled 21st century salon. You will see that I linked you (hope you don't mind). Near the bottom is a link for Ces where her and Bella made that Renee award. I don't know if they are giving it to people or what. But please check it out.
Love Renee xoxo
Someone here likes westerns!
I loved 'A Prayer for Owen Meany' too!
Post a Comment