Saturday, May 16, 2009

Calvin Borel... Amazing!


Today I heard Calvin Borel speak during a television interview in which he said he loved to ride since the age of 2 years old. Can you imagine that? As a little kid he could make his horse do his bidding such as kneeling or lying down. He said his father didn't press him to go to school because he loved to ride. Calvin has no more than a 9th grade education and yet he has managed to accomplish his dreams.

Horse racing has been his life. My husband said he saw Calvin run at Louisiana Downs about 20 years ago. He was the top jockey there in those days. Now at 42 years of age he's one of the top jockeys in the world.

Today I'm sitting here watching the hype before the Preakness. I'll watch it, but will spend a lot of the race worrying about one of these beautiful horses getting hurt. It is exciting nevertheless. Calvin Borel won the Kentucky Derby a few weeks ago on Mine That Bird (a gelding) with a 50-1 odds of winning. Borel loves to take the inside and squeezed along the rail to bring Mine That Bird from last place at the beginning of the race to the finish line about 10 lengths ahead of all the other horses. Imagine a little, uneducated Cajun boy from south Louisiana winning the Kentucky Derby two years in a row. Absolutely amazing.

Today Calvin is riding Rachel Alexander, a filly, that has 2-1 odds. Rachel Alexander won the Kentucky Oaks with Borel atop her a few weeks ago. She was 20 lengths ahead of all the other horses. Calvin was just sitting atop her, no pressure, just out for a great ride! Let's see if the little girl can beat out all the male horses with Calvin Borel riding her. She is a favorite.
Read more about Calvin Borel at Wikipedia

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This guy is too cool for school. Even with just his 9th grade education, he found something in life that he's extremely passionate about. That's a rare thing.

Sure, we can all say we enjoy doing certain things, but how many of us can honestly say we have a passion for something?

I've always enjoyed making people laugh, but never thought of being a comedian or comic writer. Who knows what the second half of my life will bring. All I know is that making people snicker is very healing. I just don't know why yet.

Delwyn said...

Hi Lizzy
I know nothing about horses , have been on one only once and it knew how scared I was and refused to budge...
But I wanted to say hello so here I am..
Hi and have a happy weekend...
Happy Days

Randy said...

Girls do rule. I have four daughters (no boys) and it's a wonderful thing. I watched the Kentucky Durby on Ytube after someone mentioned it. Amazing! I still can't understand how a horse can make the fastest houses in the world look like chumps.
Nice blog sight. Happy Birthday Budah