Thursday, May 28, 2009

Characters...

Can a Hearse & a Cadillac be characters?
Certainly the owners would be considered characters.
These two vehicles were parked in front of Padre's in Marfa, TX.


Fr. Bill Miller, Episcopal Priest & co-owner of Padre's Marfa

Folks from the nearby town of Alpine arrive for a night on the town!

Lizzy Frizzfrock & the G-Man
We wouldn't drive 5 miles to a bar at home & here we've driven 500 miles to attend the grand opening of Padre's bar in Marfa, TX... but then, I love any opportunity to go West!

Cute couple





The Cowboy (Ty Mitchell, famous Marfa cowboy) & the City Girl

Locals from Alpine dancing to Johnny Bush & his band.
I'm pretty sure the man with the blue cowboy hat owns & painted the funky hearse
& Cadillac at the beginning of this post.

These photos are from Friday night at Padre's. We had lots of fun, saw some people we had not seen in months or years. The bar is going to be well known for its music venue. I think it will be successful and will have people from nearby towns of Alpine, Ft. Davis, & Marathon coming to enjoy the music. The Saturday night performance was a Conjunto music from a great local Mexican band.

6 comments:

Bee said...

That car is quite the Dude!

I had so much fun reading this post. I know the area well, (well, well-ish), and that opening party looked like such good fun. I like a priest with diverse interests.

Isn't it funny how everyone drives such long distances in the Davis Mountains?

A Cuban In London said...

That is a fab Cadillac! And that must have been a ball! Many thanks for the images and commentary.

Greetings from London.

karen said...

Fantastic! Father Bill looks amazing, and just love all the local characters, cars and people alike!

Expat From Hell said...

Love it, love it, love it! Pure Tex-i-cana. Gotta get out to West Texas again. Soon. Thanks for posting this, and for keeping that great culture alive and well.

EFH

Renee said...

Lizzy thanks for the lovely comment on my blog.

These pictures are great and the cars are total characters.

I love the picture of you and the G man. You are beautiful.

xoxoxo

Reya Mellicker said...

Looks like a really fun evening! Cheryl I love your vest. Nice pic of you and G man.

As for the cars, well, yeah! I had a friend who used to drive an old hearse as her car. When she got parking tickets she would mail them back to the city, marked "deceased."