Sunday, April 12, 2009

Good Tidings to All

Good tidings to all.
Flowers from my table.

Spring rains came this morning.
Fast moving rains
Come & gone in oh too short a time.

Green all around with splashes of
water here & there.
The amaryllis is in bloom
and so it the bottlebrush
and the kalanchoe.

The tomatoes are setting.
The mint is spreading.
The lavender is making headway.

Rebirth, growth, greenery.
Color everywhere.
Gone are the dark skeleton
limbs of the trees.

The squirrels run & chase & play.
The birds in their spring finery
chirp and flit about the garden.
They build their nests and await
the new born.

The hummingbirds arrived
and zoom about the yard
in search of nectar from
all the flowers.

Soon the bees will come,
but not yet.
It's still too cool for them.
Soon the bees will attack
the hummingbird feeder
and a secret place for it
will be found.

Spring has arrived
and will too soon be gone
replaced by a long, hot summer.
Enjoy it now
for soon it will be a memory.

10 comments:

Siobhán said...

Lovely description Lizzy.
Thanks

Fire Byrd said...

lovely words, and your right it's such a wonderful time of year that it's so important to take the time to notice it before summer gets going.
xx

Tess Kincaid said...

Beautiful! Hope you and yours are enjoying the day!

Washington Cube said...

Poetry AND I feel like I'm there. Plus lovely Easter floral displays. I need to go check on my mint. I saw an Easter egg in my yard...some egg fight from next door, I guess.

Delwyn said...

Lizzy -
that's a very special ode to spring.

I forget what a huge seasonal and psychological change spring brings to those of you in the colder climes.
But I am enjoying hearing about all the revival and lifting of spirits...

Barbara said...

The flowers are such beautiful Easter colors. Enjoy the spring while it lasts!

Cheryl Cato said...

Yes today was a lovely spring day. Here in central Texas we don't have the cold temperatures of more northern states. We sometimes experience freezing temperatures, but usually last only a short period of time. However, the summer months last & last. From May through August last year we had temperatures hovering around 100. Many days of high temperatures with no rain to offer a respite.

Anonymous said...

In Texas, Austin is a twin city with Adelaide, my hometown here in South Australia.Evidently we have much in common, particularly weather by the sound of it. I enjoyed your Spring poem very much.Is Austin in the central part of Texas?

Reya Mellicker said...

I love spring! Thank you.

Cheryl Cato said...

Pam, yes Austin is in central Texas & I live about 30 miles east of the capital. I lived in Austin over 20 years before moving a little east. I had forgotten that Austin is sister city to Adelaide. Just read in National Geographic about the water shortage in Adelaide & how you all are on a major conservation effort. We too need rain!