It was adopted as the state bird of Texas in 1927.
Harper Lee made the Mockingbird even more famous when she wrote the following lines
for the book whose title became:
It's A Sin To Kill A Mockingbird
"'Remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.'
That was the only time I ever heard Atticus
say it was a sin to do something,
and I asked Miss Maude about it."
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music
for us to enjoy...but sing their hearts out for us.
That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
as its state bird the resolution stated:
The bird is
"a fighter for the protection of his home, falling,
if need be, in its defense, like any true Texan".
The song of the mockingbird is, in fact, a medley of the calls of many other birds. Each imitation is repeated two or three times, then another song is started, all in rapid succession. In the above sample audio file, the songs of four distinct species were recorded in the span of about seven seconds. It is common for an individual bird to have as many as 25-30 songs in its repertory.
The mockingbird is also known as a fierce protector of its nest and environment. It is sometimes seen swooping down on a dog, cat or predator that may be venturing too close to the bird's protected territory.
The mimus polyglottos, as the mockingbird is known scientifically, is about ten inches in length, including its relatively long tail. It has a light gray coat and a whitish underside. Its wings and tail are darker gray with white patches.
8 comments:
I was listening to a mockingbird this weekend. I was spellbound at the variety in his song. Didn't remember them being that sweet. Used to have one in my yard and he mostly just dive bombed my dog.
Thanks for visiting Prattle.
Hi Lizzy,
he looks a fine bird and from what I have read a very good singer.
Can they mimic many bird calls?
Good photos Lizzy well done.
I'm so glad you stopped by my blog and left a comment! It's wonderful to meet you.
This is such interesting information about the mockingbird. I don't know whether we have them in Wisconsin, but TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD has always been one of my very favorite books and films, too.
I'll be stopping by regularly, now that I know you're here! Best wishes, Angela.
Pyzahn, mockingbirds are known for defending their territory... yours must have had a nest in the area that he/she was protecting.
Delwyn, an individual bird has 25-30 songs in its repertory. We have mockingbirds all over Texas, but in our backyard we mostly have cardinals who also have the sweetest sound... of course they are limited to only one song.
Angela, thanks for visiting. The book To Kill A Mockingbird made my top 10 list of best ever books & movies. It's not often that a movie can live up to the written word, but it definitely did in the case of "... Mockingbird".
One of my all time favourite books: To Kill a Mockingbird.
Ciao as our dear Rosaria might say.
Love Renee xoxo
What an interesting story. I wonder if we have them in the Northwest. I shall research. Glad to learn something new today.
At a young age, just around this time of year, my mother taught me to put up wren houses near the house, because they have such a pretty song. I like watching birds engage. The male cardinal putting the peanut half in his mate's mouth as if to say, "See what a good provider I am? That big shadow over there? Ignore it. You think the big shadow brings the peanuts?" Nope. *fluff puff* I did it all by my twittering self. ;)
W. C. - I have 2 Carolina wrens who visit my patio almost daily. They run around searching for the occasional bug. Sometimes they sit on my patio furniture being just as cute as can be! :-)
Post a Comment