Colored Lanterns at the Lotus Lantern FestivalThe lanterns above are to celebrate Buddha's birthday. The place: South Korea. According to a friend this is Buddha's birthday, but information in Wikipedia says the date changes with the Gregorian calendar which made this year's birthday on May 2. No matter, it is nice to know someone is thinking of this celebration.
Double click on the photo to enlarge it. I suppose the papers hanging from each lantern are wishes or prayers to Buddha. Just a speculation as I have no way of knowing for sure.
Wikipedia: click on Buddha's Birthday to read more about this birthday and the dates it is celebrated on the Gregorian calendar.
11 comments:
What wonderful joyous lanterns to celebrate the Buddha.
xx
Yeah, another birthday to celebrate. How did you celebrate the horse race?
I love this post, I love all those colours and I agree with you "it is nice to know someone is thinking of this celebration".
I feel very much Master Buddha!
xoxo
Hi, Lizzy--
I came here from Robert Frost's Banjo. So, the Buddha has to be -- what? -- 1300 years old and change?
We lived in South Austin back in the 80's. For years, I had a bumper sticker that read "South Austin: We're All Here Because We're Not All There." It's still my favorite place that I've lived in.
That's interesting, because the Buddha himself asked that people not make images of him and I suspect would have looked askance on making a big deal of his birthday. Still, the colorful lanterns are pretty cool.
Hi Lizzy,
whenever it is and wherever it's held the lanterns make a fine image...
I have been to South Korea twice - such a huge population - 40 m people in Seoul alone....
Happy Days
What glorious colours. And I think Buddha had quite a few good ideas too!
Happy birthday, Buddha! I wonder if he reincarnated and who is he now?
Wow, that's too cool. I'm gonna save it to use as my computer desktop wallpaper!
I just adore color.
I'm so glad you all liked the lanterns!
Aren't the colours so amazing.
xoxoxo
Post a Comment